Piezoelectricity: how do we measure it?

In summary: I'm not sure what voltage you are getting on the multimeter, but if it is less than 100 mV it is probably not getting a good reading.
markuz
Hello everyone, I am running a physics class next week where I want to show to high school children the power of piezoelectricity.
I want to let them see with their own eyes that if a crystal is squeezed the differential potential between two opposite faces will change accordingly to the amount of deformation (load) the crystal undergoes. So I took off a bit of crystal from a gas lighter, connected to electrodes to opposite faces to measure the voltage with a multimeter.
What I found out doing the experiment is that the crystal do get charged as soon as the load is applied, but the voltage is rapidly decreasing (obviously because all the charge travel across the circuit to produce the reading); sometime it is so fast that I cannot get the reading at all. Anybody knows a better way to get such voltage gauge in such short amount of time (b.t.w. I am using both an analogue voltmeter and a multimeter to get the readings)?
Any suggestion appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not familiar with the level of voltage you get from one, but surely the voltmeter should present such a high resistance that the voltage is maintained? Are you saying the voltage is dropping because the charge is flowing through the voltmeter?

Right what I need is a (maybe cheap) oscilloscope

...and a source of vibration

markuz said:
Right what I need is a (maybe cheap) oscilloscope
An oscilloscope will show a voltage change very easily. In ~cm sized, cylcindrical piezo devices I've used in the past, a 'scope on the 100 mV/div setting showed a several divisions deviation from squeezing the device by hand. Nice easy way to test that you have made good solder connections to the piezo.
russ_watters said:
...and a source of vibration
Squeezing by hand was always enough for me.

1. What is piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress.

2. How is piezoelectricity measured?

Piezoelectricity is typically measured using a device called a piezoelectric sensor, which converts mechanical stress into an electric signal. This signal can then be measured using various instruments such as oscilloscopes or voltmeters.

3. What types of materials exhibit piezoelectricity?

Commonly used materials for piezoelectric sensors include crystals such as quartz, ceramics like lead zirconate titanate, and certain polymers such as polyvinylidene fluoride. However, other materials such as bone, wood, and some biological tissues also exhibit piezoelectric properties.

4. Can piezoelectricity be measured in both directions?

Yes, piezoelectricity can be measured in both directions. When a mechanical stress is applied to the material, it will generate an electric charge. Conversely, when an electric field is applied to the material, it will cause a deformation or displacement.

5. What are some common applications of piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectric materials are used in a wide range of applications, including sensors, actuators, energy harvesting devices, and ultrasound technology. They are also commonly used in microphones, speakers, and pressure sensors in various electronic devices.