Conservation of Energy (Spring + Kinetic)

So ultimately you will get the same answer. Your calculation is correct. In summary, a 3.0 kg mass sliding on a frictionless surface collides with a spring bumper with a velocity of 3.0 m/s. Using the equation for kinetic energy and the spring constant, the maximum amount of spring compression is calculated to be 0.081 m. Both equations, E_kin = E_spring and E_kin(i) + E_spring(i) = E_kin(f) + E_spring(f), give the same result.
IB
Tonight I've got so many hard problems...

A 3.0 kg mass slides across a frictionless surface and collides against a spring bumper with a velocity of 3.0 m/s as shown in the diagram. Determine the maximum amount of the spring compresses if it spring constant is 335 N/m.

For this one I don't know whether I should use E_kin = E_spring then solve from there or E_kin(i) + E_spring(i) = E_kin(f) + E_spring(f), but as for the former I got:

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 k (delta) l^2
mv^2 = k(delta) l^2
(3)(3)^2 = (335) (l^2)
x = .081 m

Is that right? Thanks a lot for your help so far, everyone! I really appreciate your time and kindness. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good.

except the spring epe is .5kx^2

Both the equations are valid. The second one reduces to the first one since E_spring(i) is zero and E_kin(f) is zero.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does a spring store and release energy?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape. The energy is released when the spring moves back and forth.

3. What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring depends on two factors: the spring constant and the displacement of the spring. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, while the displacement is the distance the spring is compressed or stretched.

4. Can the conservation of energy be applied to other systems besides a spring and kinetic energy?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy can be applied to all physical systems. It is a fundamental principle of physics and is used to analyze a wide range of phenomena, from simple objects like a spring to complex systems like the universe.

5. What are some real-life examples of the conservation of energy?

One example is a pendulum, where the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy at the lowest point and vice versa. Another example is a roller coaster, where the potential energy at the top of the hill is converted into kinetic energy as the coaster goes down. In both cases, the total energy remains constant.