Accept/Reject Null Hypothesis Using Confidence Intervals

• Thread starter blumfeld0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
So, a 99% confidence level corresponds to a significance level of 0.01, and a 95% confidence level corresponds to a significance level of 0.05. So, in summary, when given a confidence interval, you can use the associated significance level to determine whether to accept or reject the null hypothesis based on where the given number falls in the range.
blumfeld0
Hello. I am teaching myself statistics and my question is about confidence intervals. I understand that I can accept or reject a null hypothesis based on comparing my p values to the significance value (say .05)
But how do i accept or reject a null hypothesis based SOLELY on
a given confidence intervals say -12 to 1.4?
thanks

blumfeld0

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have a confidence interval of 99% confidence, and the range is (-12, 1.4). If you have a number that lies outside of that range (let's say 1.9), then you can reject [itex]H_0[/itex] (and accept [itex]H_a[/itex]) at [itex]\alpha = .01[/itex]. If the number does lie inside that range (let's say -3), then you accept [itex]H_0[/itex] (and reject [itex]H_a[/itex]).

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for your reply. That is the problem. A colleaugue of mine told me that you can accept or reject the null hypothesis solely given the confidence interval without being given the actual data or significance level (99%, 95%)
Is he right?
if so how?
thanks

blumfeld0

a confidence level always has a significance level associated with it, so no.

Confidence level = 1 - significance level

1. How do you determine whether to accept or reject the null hypothesis using confidence intervals?

To determine whether to accept or reject the null hypothesis using confidence intervals, you need to calculate the confidence interval for your sample data. Then, compare the confidence interval to the null hypothesis value. If the null hypothesis value falls outside of the confidence interval, you can reject the null hypothesis. Otherwise, you accept the null hypothesis.

2. What is a confidence interval and how is it related to the null hypothesis?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is related to the null hypothesis because the null hypothesis represents the assumed value of the population parameter. The confidence interval helps us determine whether the null hypothesis value is a plausible estimate for the true population parameter.

3. What is the significance level and why is it important in determining whether to accept or reject the null hypothesis?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true. Typically, a significance level of 0.05 is used, which means that there is a 5% chance of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true. It is important because it helps us determine the level of confidence we have in our results and whether they are statistically significant.

4. Can you accept the null hypothesis if the confidence interval includes the null hypothesis value?

Yes, you can accept the null hypothesis if the confidence interval includes the null hypothesis value. This means that the null hypothesis value is a plausible estimate for the true population parameter. However, it is important to note that this does not necessarily mean that the null hypothesis is true, as there is always a chance of error in statistical analysis.

5. How does sample size affect the decision to accept or reject the null hypothesis using confidence intervals?

The sample size can affect the decision to accept or reject the null hypothesis using confidence intervals in two ways. Firstly, a larger sample size can result in a narrower confidence interval, making it easier to reject the null hypothesis if the null hypothesis value falls outside of the confidence interval. Secondly, a larger sample size can also increase the power of the statistical test, making it more likely to detect a true difference between the null hypothesis value and the true population parameter.