Bio question lactose intolerance

• Thread starter Itachi
  • Start date
In summary: I do not know for sure though.In summary, adults who are intolerant to lactose have a selective advantage because they do not have to compete for milk in their diet with their children. Adults who are tolerant to lactose do not have a selective advantage because they can eat milk products.
Itachi
what might be the selective advantage of not producing lactase as an adult?

Physics news on Phys.org
What fraction of the population of Olduvai had what fraction of lactose available to them in their diet?

Assuming you have already read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94384, I do have some thoughts and suggestions, but first what answers have you considered and why?

Is there a reason why most people stop producing lactase after about childhood? Are humans not meant to consume lactose? What are some selective advantages of not producing lactase as an adult? I have thought of the question but it only led me to more questions..

Itachi said:
Is there a reason why most people stop producing lactase after about childhood? Are humans not meant to consume lactose? What are some selective advantages of not producing lactase as an adult?

The first question you should ask yourself is: Is lactose tolerance of willd type (i.e. a dominant trait) or a mutation in most of the world population?

Find the answer for this questions and your perpective on your questions will change and you should be able to formulate some answer for your question.

(Hint: look for lactose tolerance in http://www.wikipedia.org" )

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that there was a selective advantage of not producing lactase , meaning that you are not capable of digesting lactose. this will prevent competition among their children(which can digest lactase) for milk

Itachi said:
i think that there was a selective advantage of not producing lactase , meaning that you are not capable of digesting lactose. this will prevent competition among their children(which can digest lactase) for milk

People that are tolerant to lactose are the people that carry a mutated allelle. Lactose intolerance is the norm. So there does not seem to be any selective advantage to be intolerant to lactose since most of diet are not rich in milk and derivatives. However, it could be debated that producing lactase when no milk is present is a waste of energy. Hence, this could lead to a selective advantage.

The real selective advantage is for people that are tolerant to lactose and live in a country where the diet is rich in milk products.

The main advantage I can think of, for not producing lactase as an adult,
are in line with what iansmith mentioned. It is wasteful for our body in terms of energy and materials to continue producing enzymes when the molecule they were created for (lactase) becomes scarcer in the diet (in adults). Interesting that the cells often do have the gene to produce lactase and do so, during childhood. But upon transition to adulthood it has became disabled. In lactose tolerant people, i am thinking there may be another gene that regulates the lactase gene (tells it to turn on).

What is lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance is a common digestive condition where the body is unable to fully digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and dairy products. This is due to a deficiency of the enzyme lactase, which is needed to break down lactose into smaller sugars that can be absorbed by the body.

What causes lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance is caused by a deficiency of the enzyme lactase. This can be genetic, meaning the body does not produce enough lactase from birth, or it can develop later in life due to factors such as aging, illness, or damage to the small intestine.

What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance?

The most common symptoms of lactose intolerance include bloating, abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea, and nausea. These symptoms typically occur within 30 minutes to 2 hours after consuming dairy products.

How is lactose intolerance diagnosed?

Lactose intolerance can be diagnosed through a lactose intolerance test. This involves consuming a drink containing a high amount of lactose and then measuring the levels of glucose in the blood. If the levels do not increase, it indicates a lactase deficiency.

Is there a cure for lactose intolerance?

Currently, there is no cure for lactose intolerance. However, it can be managed by avoiding or limiting dairy products, taking lactase enzyme supplements, and consuming lactose-free or reduced lactose products. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper management and to ensure adequate intake of nutrients found in dairy products.