Circular motion and water whirl

In summary, the pail of water can be whirled in vertical non-uniform circular motion without spilling any water at the top due to the normal reaction force acting upwards, which balances out the downward weight components. The acceleration of the water at the top is also not zero.
JDBB
i can picture it in my head, though i can't explain it with physical concepts:

-A pail of water can be whirled in vertical non-uniform circular motion such that at the top, none is spilled. How so?

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
JDBB said:
i can picture it in my head, though i can't explain it with physical concepts:

-A pail of water can be whirled in vertical non-uniform circular motion such that at the top, none is spilled. How so?

any help is appreciated
What is the condition for water to spill (think of it in terms of forces)? What are the forces acting on the water? If the pail is being whirled around in a circle so no water moves downward when it is upside down, what does that say about the magnitude of the net downward force acting on the water?

AM

Try to consider the centripetal force, the weight of the pail, and the normal reaction of the pail to water.

At the top of the trajectory both the weight components are completely downwards which is why I am having some trouble explaining this...

However, there is a normal reaction force acting upwards. Can you write an equation for the normal reaction force at any point in the rotation? (HINT: You will need to use tig).

JDBB said:
At the top of the trajectory both the weight components are completely downwards which is why I am having some trouble explaining this...
What is the acceleration of the water at the top? Hint: it is not zero.

AM

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. How does circular motion relate to water whirls?

Water whirls, also known as vortices, are examples of circular motion in nature. They are formed when water flows in a circular pattern, creating a whirlpool or a tornado-like shape. These whirls are caused by a combination of forces, such as gravity and the Coriolis effect.

3. What factors affect the size and shape of a water whirl?

The size and shape of a water whirl are influenced by several factors, including the speed and direction of the water flow, the size and shape of the container it is in, and the viscosity of the water. Other factors, such as the presence of obstacles or changes in the water's temperature, can also affect the size and shape of a water whirl.

4. How do water whirls form in bodies of water?

Water whirls can form in bodies of water when there is a change in the velocity or direction of the water flow. This can be caused by various factors, such as wind, tides, or the movement of other objects in the water. When the water flow changes, it creates a circular motion that can lead to the formation of a water whirl.

5. What are the practical applications of studying circular motion and water whirls?

Studying circular motion and water whirls can have various practical applications. For example, understanding the forces that create water whirls can help in predicting and preventing natural disasters, such as tornadoes and hurricanes. It can also be applied in engineering, such as designing more efficient turbines for hydroelectricity or optimizing the flow of fluids in pipes and channels.