Perfect numbers beside 6 in mod6.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, we discussed the properties of perfect numbers and their congruences modulo 6 and 3. We also looked at a conjecture about even perfect numbers and proved it using modular arithmetic. Additionally, we explored the alternating forms of powers of 2 and used them to show that an even perfect number can be written in a specific form, which leads to its congruence modulo 6 being 4. We also discussed the use of modular arithmetic to perform calculations and prove assertions.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i chekced a few perfect numbers with module 6 and, a nice property is that all mod 6 equal 4 (at least for those i checked), i guees that if an odd perfect number would exist then its mod 6 would be different.

i wonder how to prove that for every even perfect number greater than 6, its mod 6 equal 4?

i guess because its even it's divisble by 2, and then the question becomes how to prove that mod 3 equal 2, then how do you prove/disprove the assertion?

Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
i guees that if an odd perfect number would exist then its mod 6 would be different.

obviously: any number congruent to 0,2,4 mod 6 is even.

it seems an interesting conjecture.

All even perfect numbers are of the form 2^(n - 1) * (2^n - 1) where n is prime, so if we restrict our attention to the case where n > 2, we see that

2^(n - 1) * (2^n - 1) = (-1)^(n - 1) * ((-1)^n - 1) = 1(-1 -1) = 1 (mod 3)

since n - 1 is even and n is odd.

i guess because its even it's divisble by 2, and then the question becomes how to prove that mod 3 equal 1, then how do you prove/disprove the assertion?

Small correction bolded.

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/proofs/EvenPerfect.html for a proof of Muzza's statement about even perfect numbers if you haven't seen one yet (in most elementary texts as well).

Muzza said:
All even perfect numbers are of the form 2^(n - 1) * (2^n - 1) where n is prime, so if we restrict our attention to the case where n > 2, we see that

2^(n - 1) * (2^n - 1) = (-1)^(n - 1) * ((-1)^n - 1) = 1(-1 -1) = 1 (mod 3)

since n - 1 is even and n is odd.
muzza, why this "2^(n - 1) * (2^n - 1) = (-1)^(n - 1) * ((-1)^n - 1)"?
or you were reffering to conguerence here, and even if you did refer to conguernece shouldn't it be mod2
because:
2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)-(-1)^(2n-1)-(-1)^n=2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)+(-1)^2n+(-1)^(n+1)=2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)+2=0mod2

All the calculations were made modulo 3, as indicated by the "(mod 3)" at the end of the line.

Why would you be interested in working modulo 2 when you want to prove that something is equal to something else modulo 3...?

then how do you infer that: 2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)+2 is mod3.

[tex]2 \equiv -1~~ (mod~3)~~\implies~2^a \equiv -1^a~~(mod~3) [/tex]

i wonder how to prove that for every even perfect number greater than 6, its mod 6 equal 4?
There must be a much nicer way to do this ...

First I assert that [itex]4^n \equiv 4~(mod~6) [/itex] ---(1)

Proof (1): (whenever I've missed it, everything that follows is a congruence mod 6)

[tex]4^n \equiv (-2)^n = (-1)^n \cdot 2^n [/tex]

Since 2^n is not divisible by 6, 2^n = 6m+2 or 6m+4. Next, notice that no two consecutive powers of 2 can take the same form, for then we'd have :

[tex]2^n = 2^{n+1} - 2^n = (6m'+2) - (6m+2) = 6q~[/tex], which is not possible (and likewise with the form 6m+4).

This shows that 2^n must alternate between the above two forms. In other words, modulo 6, 2^n must alternate between 4 and -4. Since [itex]2^1 \equiv -4~(mod~6) [/itex], we have [itex]2^n \equiv (-1)^n\cdot 4~(mod~6) [/itex] and hence [itex](-1)^n\cdot 2^n \equiv 4 ~(mod~6) [/itex]

This proves assertion 1.

Next we simply note that an even perfect number can be written as

[tex]P = 2^{p-1} \cdot(2^p-1) [/tex]

For odd p > 2, we write p=2n+1, which gives

[tex]P = 2^{2n} \cdot (2^{2n+1} -1 ) = 4^n (2\cdot 4^n -1) \equiv 4(4\cdot2-1) \equiv 4 [/tex]

Last edited:
then how do you infer that: 2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)+2 is mod3.

Huh? 2^(2n-1)-2^(n-1)+2 is a number, one can perform calculations with it modulo 3 without needing to know that the number itself "is mod 3" (which makes no sense anyway...).

1. What is a perfect number?

A perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors (positive divisors excluding itself). The first few perfect numbers are 6, 28, 496, and 8128.

2. How is a perfect number related to mod6?

In mod6, a perfect number (besides 6) is a number that leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 6. This is because 6 is the only perfect number that is divisible by 6 in mod6.

3. Are there any other perfect numbers besides 6 in mod6?

No, 6 is the only perfect number in mod6. This is because any other perfect number would have to be divisible by 6, and therefore would not leave a remainder of 1.

4. What is the significance of perfect numbers in mathematics?

Perfect numbers have been studied for centuries and have been of interest to mathematicians because of their unique properties. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as prime numbers and number theory.

5. How are perfect numbers used in real-world applications?

While perfect numbers do not have many practical applications, they have been used in some coding and encryption algorithms. They have also been studied in relation to the distribution of prime numbers.