Easier Method for Determining Convergence of a Series

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the ratio test and L'Hospital's rule to determine if the series is conditionally convergent, absolutely convergent, or divergent. The idea of using a comparison test with a known convergent series is also mentioned.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is the following limit, conditionally covergent, abolutely convergent, or divergent?

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n e^{1/n}}{n^3} [/tex]

To solve this i used the ratio test with help from L'Hospitals Rule. That took me forever and was really complicated. Can anyone think of an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you want to show that it's absolutely convergent. Then you need to show the series formed by taking the absolute value of each term of this series is convergent. The terms of that series approach 1/n3 from above. Can you show that:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]

converges? Then you have one more step left.

It is an alternating series with terms decreasing in absolute value towards zero.
That is sufficient to tell you whether the series diverges or converges.

Hmm, can I use a comparison test between

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n e^{1/n}}{n^3} [/tex]
and
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]
?

Letting the n'th term be called a(n), then you have:
[tex]|a(n)|\leq\frac{e}{n^{3}}[/tex]
what does this tell you?

1. Is there a shortcut or faster method for completing this task?

Yes, there may be alternative methods or tools that can help simplify the process. It's important to explore different options and experiment to find the most efficient way for your specific task.

2. Can I use technology or automation to make this task easier?

Absolutely. With advancements in technology, there are often tools or software available that can automate certain tasks or streamline processes. It's worth researching and investing in these options to save time and effort.

3. Are there any tips or tricks for making this task less complicated?

Yes, there may be specific techniques or strategies that can help simplify the task. It's helpful to seek advice from others who have experience with similar tasks or do some research to find helpful tips.

4. Can I delegate this task to someone else to make it easier?

In some cases, delegating tasks to others can help make it easier. However, it's important to ensure that the person you are delegating to has the necessary skills and knowledge to complete the task effectively.

5. Is there a more efficient way to organize or structure this task?

Yes, sometimes reorganizing or restructuring a task can make it easier to complete. This may involve breaking the task into smaller steps or reordering the steps in a more logical sequence.