Question on theorem of arithmetic euclid's algorithm

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving a theorem related to arithmetic and the Euclidean algorithm. The suggestion of using induction is dismissed and instead, comparing prime factorizations of a and b is suggested. Further discussion about the divisibility criteria and the relationship between exponents in a prime factorization is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start with the first condition, a|b^2, to come up with an inequality for k and m.
singedang2
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7461/divsuu6.jpg
i know this question has to do with theorem of arithmetic and euclidean algorithm, but i don't even know where to start. help pls! thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about an argument using induction?

i don't think this can proven with induction... any other comments?

Try comparing prime factorizations of a and b. Suppose a prime p appears as p^k in the prime factorization of a and as p^m in the prime factorization of b.

what do those divisbility critrea tell you about m and k?

tell me more about this... gahhh i don't quite get it.

Start with the first condition, a|b^2. You should be able to come up with an inequality for k and m from this.

How does divisibility relate to the exponents in a prime factorization?

1. What is Euclid's algorithm?

Euclid's algorithm is a mathematical method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers. It is based on the principle that the GCD of two numbers is equal to the GCD of the smaller number and the remainder of the larger number divided by the smaller number. This process is repeated until the remainder becomes zero, at which point the GCD is the last non-zero remainder.

2. What is the theorem of arithmetic in Euclid's algorithm?

The theorem of arithmetic in Euclid's algorithm states that the GCD of two numbers is the same as the GCD of their difference and the smaller number. This is the basis for the algorithm, as it allows for the repeated reduction of the numbers until the GCD is found.

3. How does Euclid's algorithm work?

Euclid's algorithm works by taking two numbers and finding their GCD using the theorem of arithmetic. If the remainder is not equal to zero, the smaller number is replaced with the remainder and the larger number is replaced with the previous value of the smaller number. This process is repeated until the remainder becomes zero, at which point the GCD is the last non-zero remainder.

4. What are the applications of Euclid's algorithm?

Euclid's algorithm has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used to find the GCD of numbers, which is useful in simplifying fractions and solving certain mathematical problems. In cryptography, it is used to find the modular multiplicative inverse, which is important in the encryption and decryption of messages using the RSA algorithm.

5. Can Euclid's algorithm be used for any two numbers?

Yes, Euclid's algorithm can be used for any two numbers, as long as they are positive integers. However, it is most efficient for numbers that are relatively prime (have no common factors other than 1). If the numbers are not relatively prime, the algorithm will still work but it will take more steps to find the GCD.