HELP ON A WORK PROBLEM CAN'T DO IT BY MYSELF SNIFF SNIFF.:cry:

In summary, the work done in lifting a uniform ladder of mass 12kg from a horizontal to a vertical position is equal to the potential energy increase for the ladder, which is calculated by multiplying the ladder's mass with the acceleration due to gravity and the center of mass's vertical position. The gravitational potential energy is linear in the vertical position coordinate, so the work can be calculated by multiplying these three values together.
Min_Shin
a uniform ladder of mass 12kg is 4.6m long. if it is lifted from a horizontal to a vertical position, how much work is done

i just thought because i have to lift the centre of the mass, i'd have to do mgh with h being 2.3m. I think i am sure that i don't have the right answer. Sniff.. help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct.

HAHA... oh... thanks.

Last edited:
The work must equal the potential energy increase for the ladder (since there isn't any kinetic energy relevant for this problem).

But the potential energy increase for the WHOLE ladder, is simply the ladder's mass multiplied with g and the C.M's position, since the gravitational potential energy is linear in the vertical position coordinate.

1. What is the work problem that you need help with?

The work problem is not specified in the question, so it is difficult to provide a specific answer. However, some common work problems may include difficulty completing a task, conflict with a coworker, or feeling overwhelmed with workload.

2. Have you tried asking your coworkers or superiors for assistance?

It is always a good idea to reach out to your coworkers or superiors for help with a work problem. They may have valuable insights or suggestions to help you solve the problem. Additionally, working together can also build stronger relationships and improve teamwork.

3. Have you taken a break and stepped away from the problem?

Sometimes, taking a break from a difficult work problem can actually help you come back with a fresh perspective. This break can also help reduce stress and prevent burnout. However, make sure to communicate with your superiors or team members if you need to take a break.

4. Have you researched similar problems or solutions online?

The internet can be a great resource for finding solutions to work problems. There may be forums, articles, or videos that offer tips and strategies for tackling similar problems. Just make sure to use reliable and reputable sources for your research.

5. If the problem is work-related, have you considered discussing it with your HR department?

If the work problem involves harassment, discrimination, or any other serious issue, it is important to bring it to the attention of your HR department. They are trained to handle these types of situations and can provide guidance and support to help resolve the problem.