Recover Lost Password: Free Mac Software for Retrieving Hidden Passwords

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, a student's French teacher gave them a login name and password for an online textbook, but the student accidentally threw away the paper with the password written on it. The student is now trying to recover the password through a Mac-only browser, but the website does not work with that browser. They are looking for free software to recover passwords behind asterisks, but are unable to find any for Mac. The password is remembered in Safari v1.0.1 and the student wonders if there is a way to recover it without brute force. They also suggest checking for a password recovery system on the website or contacting the company to reset the password. The student also clarifies that Safari is not a Mac-only browser and is a port of
Dagenais
My French teacher gave me a login name and password for a online textbook.

I typed in the password into a Mac-only browser, and made it remember it.

The site doesn't work with that browser, but the paper I wrote the password on was thrown away.

I need to recover that password. Is there any free software out there for the Mac that can recover passwords behind asterisks? Like this: ****

Computer science news on Phys.org
what brower are you using? I found a program to recover asterisk passwords in windows, but i need more info about the browser your using?

The browser in which the password is remembered in is:

SAFARI V1.0.1

Sorry, couldn't find anything. There probable isn't a way to get it back without brute force. First google hit got a windows crack, but OS X has too good of a security system.

Just curious, are you sure the website doesn't have a password recovery system where they email you the password? I've never been to a site that didn't implement one. You can also call up the company of the website and try to get it reset.

Btw, safari isn't a mac-only browser. It is a port of kde's konqueror to the quartz interface.

My teacher gave me that password - therefore, if I want to recover the password it will Email it to her, not me.

Own up and ask your French Teacher for it again!

Yeah, I guess I've waited long enough. I'll ask her again.

Well if you saved it into your browser then you must have saved it using cookies, why don't you trying looking through your cookies at that site and getting your password back?

1. What is Password Recovery?

Password Recovery is a process used to retrieve a forgotten or lost password for a specific account or device. It involves resetting the password or generating a new one to regain access to the account or device.

2. How does Password Recovery work?

Password Recovery can vary depending on the specific account or device. In most cases, it involves verifying your identity through security questions or email/phone verification. Once your identity is confirmed, you can reset your password or receive a new one via email or text message.

3. Can I recover my password if I don't have access to the associated email or phone number?

In some cases, it may still be possible to recover your password if you no longer have access to the associated email or phone number. This may involve additional steps such as providing personal information or contacting customer support for assistance.

4. Is Password Recovery safe?

Password Recovery can be a secure process, but it also depends on the security measures in place for the specific account or device. It is important to use strong and unique passwords, and to enable two-factor authentication when possible to further protect your account.

5. Can Password Recovery be bypassed or hacked?

While there have been instances of password recovery processes being hacked or bypassed, it is not a common occurrence. It is important to follow best practices for password security and to be cautious of any suspicious activity on your account.