What Happens When You Feel Like You're in the Twilight Zone on a Road Trip?

• Medical
  • Thread starter sog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a possible dissociative experience while driving through a town with no street signs and seemingly purposeless people. The person remembers a U2 song and wonders if it inspired the experience. The conversation also mentions dissociative experiences and how they can be normal or a symptom of a disorder. However, it is not something to worry about if it is not a regular occurrence.
sog
I am driving along and the trip is beginning to seem like I am in Twilight Zone. I begin to think I really am in Twilight Zone and then I arrive in a town (densly populated) and none of the intersections have street signs :confused: and the people there seem to be going about with no purpose. :uhh: It got so intense I decided to stop thinking I am in Twilight Zone and got the hell out of that town asap and things got back to normal (whatever that is). WHEW

No I don't take illegal drugs. Later I remembered the song by U2: Where the streets have no name. Perhaps that is how they were inspired to write the song. (or did it inspire me to think I was in a town with streets that have no name). I wasn't listening to rock on that trip though.

Biology news on Phys.org
Without knowing more, it sounds like you had a brief dissociative experience. Specifically, it sounds like an episode of "derealization" or "depersonalization" in that the environment around you took on an unreal, dreamlike, "Twilight Zone" sort of feeling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
Dissociative experiences are often associated with severe traumatic events but need not be. Everyone has mild dissociative experiences from time to time, such as when we're daydreaming or watching a movie, and of course, they are perfectly normal. For other people these episodes are more intense and more frequent, and may be symptoms of another disorder.
Anyway, it doesn't sound like it's anything you need to worry about if you're not having these episodes on a regular basis.

It sounds like you experienced a disorienting and surreal moment on your trip. It's completely understandable that you would question your surroundings and even start to feel like you were in the Twilight Zone. Sometimes our minds can play tricks on us, especially when we are in unfamiliar places. The fact that the town you arrived in had no street signs and the people seemed aimless only added to the strange feeling. It's good that you were able to recognize the intensity of the situation and remove yourself from it. It's also interesting how a song or a piece of art can have a deeper meaning or connection to our experiences. Perhaps your subconscious picked up on the similarities between your trip and the lyrics of the U2 song. At the end of the day, it's important to trust your instincts and take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing your experience.

What do you call it when you mix two chemicals together?

When you mix two chemicals together, it is called a chemical reaction.

What do you call it when light travels through different materials?

When light travels through different materials, it is called refraction.

What do you call it when you study the Earth's atmosphere?

The study of the Earth's atmosphere is called meteorology.

What do you call it when you observe and record data in an experiment?

When you observe and record data in an experiment, it is called data collection.

What do you call it when you study the structure of living things?

The study of the structure of living things is called anatomy.