How do I go about buying a microscope in Australia?

In summary, Evo suggests that someone looking to buy a microscope should research the different brands and find one that has a magnification of 1000x and a resolution of at least 400x. He also recommends contacting local universities for recommendations. Evo also recommends looking for a microscope with a warranty of at least 12 months. Finally, Evo recommends that people be aware of the parts of a microscope that are most likely to break or need repair.
physicsnnewbie
I am really keen to buy a microscope (just a hobbyist) and have been googling to find what to look/watchout for etc, but there seems to be a severe lack of info/reviews about particular scopes which makes it hard to know what scope to get. I was thinking there would be a wealth of info on the web but unless my google skills are faultering there doesn't seem to be.

To make matters worse I don't even know where to buy one in Aus and there doesn't seem to be any websites from australian shops that sell them. I would like to buy one from a shop in my state incase something goes wrong or I need some help but I don't like my chances of finding one.

BTW I'm looking to spend no more than about AUD$1000 (approx US$500-600) and would like 1000x magnification. A few possible choices Leitz SM/LUX binocular microscope, AO series 10 SPENCER, nikon e100, LOMO MULTISCOPE BMH4-BF. I have no idea whether or not these are actually available in australia.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Biology news on Phys.org
I just typed "microscopes Australia" and came up with a list of places in Australia that sell microscopes.

Do as Evo suggested.

Here is one place - http://www.astro-optical.com.au/microscopes.html

or http://www.aunet.com.au/microscopes.htm

Or contact local universities and ask for recommendations.

Zeiss offers high quality microscopes, and so do others like Leica, which you mentioned, and Olympus, Canon, . . . .

http://www.olympusaustralia.com.au/ (under construction - see after 9-Feb)

http://www.leica-microsystems.com.au/

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you want to be able to observe with your microscope? When considering a microscope purchase, you have to think about both magnification and resolution. Resolution is the smallest size particles you can distinguish as separate particles, while magnification is how big they appear. 1000X without adequate resolution, which you won't find in your price range, isn't really useful. The brands that Astronuc listed are reputable brands. At the resolution you'll find with the average low-priced microscope, you won't get any added benefit of anything above a 40X objective (400X magnification total, with 10X oculars).

I'm not sure about Leitz, but Nikon should be available worldwide, and often has student-quality microscopes to offer, which is what it sounds like you want.

Evo said:
I just typed "microscopes Australia" and came up with a list of places in Australia that sell microscopes.

Thanks Evo but I had already looked at all of them and most of them aren't very useful. Is the BAUER brand any good though? Thanks for that leica site Astronuc.

Moonbear, I may only need 400x to start with but I don't want to get a 400x scope and then find that I really need 1000x. If I just get a 400x scope will I be able to upgrade it to 1000x if the need arises? I was thinking that I would be able to get a reasonable resolution 1000x scope at this price but going by what you said it sounds like I can't. What would be the lowest price i could pay to get a 1000x with decent resolution? Also, going back to my other question, could i simply buy a 400x and then buy a 100x objective later? Or would I need a better eyepiece as well?

EDIT: Any idea what the price would be for the Nikon eclipse e100 http://www.nikon-instruments.jp/eng/page/products/e100.aspx I have a feeling it is way out of my price range but i can't find a price.

Last edited:
How long should a microscope warranty be? The warranty for the Nikon Eclipse E100 is only 12 months, is that acceptable or should I expect a longer one? Also, what parts of microscopes are most likely to break or need repair?

Last edited:

1. Where can I buy a microscope in Australia?

There are several options for purchasing a microscope in Australia. You can buy one from a local science supply store, such as Bunnings or Jaycar. You can also purchase one online from websites such as Amazon or eBay. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have their own supply stores where you can buy microscopes.

2. What type of microscope should I buy?

The type of microscope you should buy depends on your specific needs and intended use. There are different types of microscopes, such as compound, stereo, and digital microscopes. Consider what you will be using the microscope for to determine the best type for you.

3. How much does a microscope cost in Australia?

The cost of a microscope in Australia can vary depending on the type, quality, and brand. On average, a basic compound microscope can range from $200 to $500, while more advanced models can be over $1000. Stereo and digital microscopes may also have different price ranges.

4. Are there any important features to consider when buying a microscope?

Yes, there are several important features to consider when purchasing a microscope. These include magnification power, resolution, lighting, and durability. It's also important to consider the intended use of the microscope and if any additional accessories or features are needed.

5. Do I need any special training to use a microscope?

While some experience and training may be beneficial, most microscopes come with user manuals and instructions for proper usage. It's important to familiarize yourself with the specific microscope you purchase and follow safety precautions when handling the equipment.

Back