Aluminium Framework Bed Design: Load Support Tips

In summary, the conversation is about designing an aluminium frame bed with the use of aluminium extrusion for the main bars and plywood panels at the centre to hold the mattress. The question is whether the structure should assume an evenly distributed load of 90kg or if more thought should be given to where the load is applied. Tips and ideas for design considerations are also discussed, such as using L section bar for the main rails and considering instantaneous side loadings. The suggestion is made to follow a typical design method of designing for the worst case scenario.
cabellos
aluminium framework...

I am designing an aluminium frame bed. I have desided to use aluminium extrusion either square or rectangular shape to form the main 4 bars at the base supported by 4 legs. I will use panels of plywood at the centre holding the mattress.

My question is...suppose the structure needs to support 90kg, should i assume an evenly distributed load of 90kg on each memeber or does it require more thought as to where most of the load is applied to the structure? - (e.g. at the top and bottom ends near the feet and head it would be at its minimum but the main 2 or 3 cross plywood panels in the centre would need to support the bulk of the 90kg)

Tips and ideas would be much appreciated...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The matress should distribute the load evenly whilst lying down providing it is thick enough to support you. Also your actual design will probably be much stronger than the requirements unless you are building it to minimise weight.
Something to take into account is instantaneous side loadings from when you sit on the edge of the bed, or when moving the bed frame, this requires the joints to be beefed up to take side loads, this will help with the static top loading.
Have you considered L section bar for the main rails, this will form a natural locating system for the bed base, also using slats rather than board allows the matress to slightly extrude through (Unless it is pocket sprung) giving a lighter bed and slight improvement on comfort.

I would suggest you follow a typical design method which is to design to the worst case scenario. Once you have that, you start to make optimizing decisions. In your case, like Panda mentioned, the simple support of a distributed 90kg is probably the easiest load this thing will see. What about a 90 kg person "flopping" onto the mattress? What about someone sitting over just one leg? You need to decide if these scenarios are worth pursuing.

1. What is the maximum weight that an aluminium framework bed can support?

The maximum weight that an aluminium framework bed can support depends on the specific design and construction of the bed. However, in general, aluminium framework beds can support up to 500-700 pounds.

2. How do I ensure that my aluminium framework bed is stable and sturdy?

To ensure the stability and sturdiness of your aluminium framework bed, make sure that all the joints and connections are tightly secured and that the frame is properly assembled according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is also important to evenly distribute the weight on the bed to prevent any weak points.

3. Can I use a box spring with an aluminium framework bed?

No, box springs are not recommended for use with an aluminium framework bed. The frame is designed to support the weight of the mattress without the need for a box spring. Using a box spring can put unnecessary stress on the frame and potentially damage it.

4. How do I clean and maintain my aluminium framework bed?

To clean your aluminium framework bed, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the finish of the frame. Regularly check for any loose joints or connections and tighten them if necessary to maintain the stability of the bed.

5. Can I use an aluminium framework bed outdoors?

While aluminium is a durable and weather-resistant material, it is not recommended to use an aluminium framework bed outdoors. Exposure to the elements can cause the frame to rust or corrode, which can compromise its structural integrity. It is best to keep the bed indoors to ensure its longevity.