Forces on a car skidding to a halt.

In summary, the problem is to calculate the acceleration of a car that makes an emergency stop, as well as the normal force on each wheel. The car is skidding on a horizontal road with a coefficient of friction of 0.40. The distance between the front and rear wheel axles, the center of mass, and the weight of the car are provided. The correct acceleration is 3.9 m/s^2 and the normal force on each wheel is 2000 N. However, the solution for the normal force on the rear wheels is incorrect due to the fact that the car is decelerating and has a tendency to flip over, which affects the distribution of the normal forces. The location of the center of gravity
RobertE

Homework Statement

The following is an instructive problem which I've been unable to solve.

A car on a horizontal road makes an emergency stop such that all four wheels lock and skid. The coefficient of friction between tires and road is mu=0.40. The distance between the front and rear wheel axles is 4.2 m. The centre of mass is 1.8 m behind the front axle and 0.75 m above the road. The car weighs 11,000 N. Calculate acceleration of the car, and normal force on each wheel.
Hint: Although the car is not in translational equilibrum, it is in rotational equilibrium.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

MY WORK SO FAR.

Once the wheels lock, the only (?) horizontal force on the car is that of friction.
F = (mu)(M)(g). But F=Ma. Therefore (mu)(M)(g) = Ma. So a = (mu)(g) = (.40)(9.8) = 3.9 m/s^2. (This is correct)

To calculate the normal force (Fr) on the pair of rear wheels, one would think that by using rotational equilibrium one could sum all the external torques about any point and set that sum equal to 0. A convenient point is where the front wheels meet the road.
Then: (11000N)(1.8m) - (Fr)(4.2m) = 0, which yields Fr = 4720 N, ie 2360 N/wheel

But this is incorrect! The proper rear normal force is 2000N/wheel.

My question is: what's wrong. If the car were standing still, 2360N would be correct.
But the fact that it is skidding to a halt has increased the normal force on the front wheels and decreased the normal force on the rear ones (as there is a tendency for a car in such a situation to flip over forward). So how does one set up the equations for this? They must incorporate the fact that the centre of mass is 0.75 m above the road (which I didnt use in the above calculation.)

Physics news on Phys.org
heres my take,
(11,000)g=2Nf+2Nr where these are the normal forces of front and rear tires.
Because of unequal lever arms, to maintain 0 rotation, from lengths of lever arms,

Nr=1.8/2.4* Nf substitute...

That's what I thought originally, but it's evidently incorrect

Thanks, but one must take into consideration that the car is decelerating, not standing still, so this becomes more complicated. Your solution (as was mine) is for a stationary car.
The decelerating car would have a tendendency to flip over (ie in the extreme case, back wheels over front) and this tendency serves to reduce Nr and increase Nf, though their sum remains 11000N. So I still don't know how to solve this, but the fact that the center of gravity is .75m above the road must come into play. I suppose the precise location of the center of gravity would determine whether or not the car indeed does flip over.

1. What causes a car to skid while braking?

When a car is in motion, it has kinetic energy. When the brakes are applied, the kinetic energy is converted into heat and friction, causing the car to slow down. However, if the brakes are applied too forcefully or suddenly, the friction between the tires and the road can become too great and cause the tires to lose grip, resulting in skidding.

2. How does the weight of a car affect its ability to stop?

The weight of a car plays a significant role in its ability to stop. A heavier car has more kinetic energy, which means it requires more force to bring it to a stop. Additionally, a heavier car puts more pressure on the tires, increasing the risk of skidding. This is why it is essential to properly distribute weight in a car to ensure safe braking.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction when it comes to skidding?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest. When a car is stationary, the static friction between the tires and the road is high, providing good grip. However, when the car is in motion, the friction becomes kinetic, and it is easier for the tires to lose grip and skid. This is why it is more challenging to stop a car in motion than a stationary car.

4. How can factors like road conditions and tire tread affect a car's ability to stop?

Road conditions, such as wet or icy surfaces, can significantly impact a car's ability to stop. These conditions reduce the friction between the tires and the road, making it easier for the car to skid. Tire tread is also crucial in maintaining grip on the road. Worn-out tires with low tread depth have less surface area to create friction, increasing the risk of skidding.

5. What are some techniques to prevent skidding when braking?

To prevent skidding when braking, it is essential to apply the brakes gradually, rather than slamming on them suddenly. This allows for the weight of the car to shift forward gradually, rather than all at once, reducing the risk of losing grip. It is also crucial to maintain proper tire pressure and tread depth, as well as driving at safe speeds and keeping a safe distance from other vehicles.