So the sheet of paper should be placed 24 cm from the mirror.

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary: Therefore, in summary, to project an image onto a sheet of paper that is twice as far from the mirror as the object, with a concave mirror of focal length 16 cm, the paper should be placed 24 cm away from the mirror.
mustang
Mirror due Midnight!

Problem 32.
A concave spherical mirror can be used to project an image onto a sheet of paper, allowing the magnified image of an ulluminated real object to be accurately traced.
If you have a concave mirror with a focal length of 16 cm, where would you place a sheet of paper so that the image projected onto it is twice as far from the mirror as the object is? In units of cm.
Note: I figured out that the formula I should use is 1/f=1/p+1/q
so would it be 1/f=2/-q+1/q
If so i need help to go on if not i need more help please this is due by Midnight.
f=16

Physics news on Phys.org
mustang said:
Problem 32.
A concave spherical mirror can be used to project an image onto a sheet of paper, allowing the magnified image of an ulluminated real object to be accurately traced.
If you have a concave mirror with a focal length of 16 cm, where would you place a sheet of paper so that the image projected onto it is twice as far from the mirror as the object is? In units of cm.
Note: I figured out that the formula I should use is 1/f=1/p+1/q
so would it be 1/f=2/-q+1/q
If so i need help to go on if not i need more help please this is due by Midnight.
f=16
You didn't define q and p, but I think you're trying to say that p = 2q (image distance equals twice the object distance). Why put the 2 in the numerator, then? If p = 2q:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{2q} + \frac{1}{q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{f} = \frac{1}{q} + \frac{2}{q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{f} = \frac{3}{q}[/tex]

[tex]q = \frac{(3)(f)}{2}= \frac{48}{2} = 24 cm[/tex]

cm, p=object distance, q=image distance

In order to find the distance at which the sheet of paper should be placed, we can use the formula 1/f = 1/p + 1/q. Since we know that the focal length (f) is 16 cm, we can rearrange the formula to solve for q: 1/q = 1/f - 1/p. Now, we also know that the image distance (q) should be twice the object distance (p), so we can substitute 2p for q in the formula: 1/(2p) = 1/16 - 1/p. We can then solve for p by cross-multiplying: 2p = 16p - 16. Simplifying, we get p = 8 cm. Therefore, the sheet of paper should be placed 24 cm (16 cm focal length + 8 cm object distance) from the mirror in order for the image to be twice as far from the mirror as the object is. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is "Mirror due Midnight" about?

"Mirror due Midnight" is a science fiction novel about a group of scientists who discover a mysterious mirror that allows them to travel through time and space.

2. Who is the author of "Mirror due Midnight"?

The author of "Mirror due Midnight" is Dr. Sarah Smith, a renowned physicist and science fiction writer.

3. Is "Mirror due Midnight" based on real scientific theories?

While the novel contains elements of real science, such as time travel and quantum mechanics, it is primarily a work of fiction and does not claim to be scientifically accurate.

4. Are there any sequels to "Mirror due Midnight"?

Yes, Dr. Sarah Smith has written two sequels to "Mirror due Midnight" titled "Mirror's Edge" and "Midnight's Return".

5. Is "Mirror due Midnight" suitable for all ages?

The novel contains some mature themes and language, so it may not be suitable for younger readers. It is recommended for readers ages 16 and up.