Building a Tiny Wind Generator | Uwe's Design Questions

In summary, the conversation was about a wind-powered generator project. The design considerations include having a short pendulum for a quick change in magnetic flux and a long windflap for enough leverage to move the flap. The suggestion to find a balance between these two factors is to use a lightweight material for the flap and to conduct experiments with different lengths and masses for the pendulum.
Othello
For demonstration purposes I m trying to assemble a generator consisting of a coil swinging thru a permanent magnetic field.
The coil should hang from a small windflap and should be able to temporarily light up an LED.

Currently I am concerning myself with the design of the windflap which can be thought of as a pendulum of certain length and a certain mass (eg. the material of the flap + the attached coil). This flap should be moved by the wind.

For the generator part I would need a short pendulum to achieve the quick flux change necessary to develop a useful voltage (Faraday's law).

For the wind to move the flap I think I would want a long flap to offer enough leverage to the wind to move the flap.

Since these two consideration, if right, are contradictory I would hope for some input to be able to build a test set-up without too much experimentation.

Thanks Uwe

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Uwe,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. I can offer some input on your design for the wind-powered generator.

Firstly, your understanding of Faraday's law is correct. In order to generate a useful voltage, you will need a quick change in magnetic flux. This can be achieved by having a short pendulum with a fast swinging motion.

However, you are also right in considering the leverage of the wind on the flap. A longer flap will offer more leverage and potentially move with more force. This can be beneficial in generating a higher voltage.

To find a balance between these two factors, you may want to consider using a lightweight material for the flap, such as aluminum or carbon fiber. This will allow for a faster swinging motion while still providing enough leverage for the wind to move the flap.

Additionally, you could experiment with different lengths and masses for the pendulum to find the optimal design for your generator. Using a wind tunnel or conducting controlled experiments with varying parameters can help you determine the best design for your set-up.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your project! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Hello Uwe,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you have a very interesting and innovative idea for a tiny wind generator. I appreciate your attention to detail and your consideration of the design challenges involved.

In terms of your concerns about the design of the windflap, I believe you are on the right track. It is important to find a balance between the length and mass of the flap in order to achieve the desired movement from the wind. I would recommend experimenting with different lengths and materials to find the optimal combination. Additionally, you may want to consider adding a lightweight material, such as a thin plastic or fabric, to the flap to increase its surface area and potentially catch more wind.

As for the generator part, your idea to use a short pendulum is a good one. This will allow for a quick flux change and help generate a useful voltage. However, you may also want to consider incorporating some gears or other mechanisms to amplify the movement of the pendulum and increase its efficiency.

Overall, I think you have a solid plan for your wind generator and I am excited to see how it turns out. Just remember to keep experimenting and making adjustments as needed. Good luck with your project!

What materials are needed to build a tiny wind generator?

To build a tiny wind generator, you will need a small DC motor, blades or propellers, a base or frame, a tower or stand, wires, and a battery or energy storage device.

How much power can a tiny wind generator produce?

The power output of a tiny wind generator will vary depending on the size and design of the generator, as well as the wind speed and direction. On average, a small wind turbine can produce anywhere from 100 watts to 1 kilowatt of power.

What is the cost of building a tiny wind generator?

The cost of building a tiny wind generator will depend on the materials used and the size of the generator. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $500 to build a small wind turbine.

What are the benefits of using a tiny wind generator?

Using a tiny wind generator can have several benefits, including reducing your reliance on traditional energy sources, reducing your carbon footprint, and providing a sustainable source of energy. It can also potentially save you money on your energy bills.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building a tiny wind generator?

When building a tiny wind generator, it is important to keep safety in mind. Be sure to properly ground the generator to prevent electrical shock, use caution when working with moving parts, and follow all safety instructions provided with your materials. It is also important to check for any potential hazards in the surrounding area, such as nearby power lines or structures.