Convert Pulse to DC Voltage - Ideas Needed

In summary, the individual needs to convert a pulse with an amplitude of 0 to 5v into a DC voltage with the same amplitude. They are looking for ideas and suggestions on how to achieve this, and they provide additional details about their intended circuit, including the use of a peak hold circuit or an analog switch. The conversation also covers the possibility of using 25 watt bulbs connected to the pulse circuit and the feasibility of this approach. Finally, the individual mentions their intention to consult with an auto electrician for the final details and proper tools for the job.
if you're determined to use the ultrasonic sensor

i'd place an ultrasonic receiver nearby and let it drive a relay to switch, say, a GE-4522 aircraft landing lamp. let the ultrasonic receiver trigger a timer circuit so the light won't follow your 8pps ultrasonic. that way you haven't intruded at all in the car's electronics.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/replacementlampsflashtubes.html

that'll require a wire to power the lamp because it draws about twenty amps.
run it yourself, under the car so you'll be happy with the installation.

that link carries LED high power lamps too but note they're pricey.

Engineering news on Phys.org
batman29 said:
OK I understood the inability of the sensor wires of carry enough power to light the LEDs.

Will the power of the pulses DC be enough to drive a miniature relay?

No, it won't.

May I kindly ask you to provide your comments (e.g. Pros, Cons and Workability) of the approach suggested by our member (Jim Hardy)?

I will repeat what I wrote earlier on. If you have a supply of 12V with sufficient current capability then use a detector (diode and amplifier), a relay driver and a relay. That will do exactly what's needed. It will be the least 'invasive' solution and easily removed if you don't want it any more.
As Jim Hardy says, you can even use the ultrasound signal to avoid any direct connection to the 'electronics'. If it were up to me, I'd far prefer to do the hard work in the comfort of an indoor work bench and minimal effort on the car itself.

Many thanks

My background in electronic components is minimal; however I think I am able to follow your instructions. Certainly I will not be able to construct (myself) any ultrasound transmitter/receiver but I may order an already made ultrasound receiver to be located in the rear bumper. I am able to branch a line from a 12V source.

Reading the literature some people have built a transmitter and its corresponding receiver that will switch on a relay that will close a circuit to use a 12V source of current. I may say that the head of the sensor in my vehicle not only sends ultrasound beams but also receives the bouncer beams. Therefore the sensor head acts as a transmitter/receiver.

The problem I see from this exercise is that the rear fog light mostly is switched on when the car goes forward and the sensor head although it releases ultrasound to the air the beams are not bounced back (no obstacle) and therefore the best ultrasound receiver will not receive anything to be activated. I may be wrong here but I have the suspicion that the receiver will not work. If the ultrasound beams from the transmitter spray in all directions then the receiver may work.

Assuming that my logic is faulty I will appreciate it if someone can recommend a good brand of ultrasound receiver and where to contact.

A few months ago I designed (on paper) the use of RF transmitter (remote) to activate the rear fog light by draining 12V line from the 12V socket available in the cargo area of the car. I bought, very cheap, a Chinese remote kit (control unit ready to be used + transmitters) with a set of coloured wires to be connected directly to the 12V load. I have to use 2-transmitters one in the front to operate the rear fog light lamp (switch) and the other in the rear to operate the rear fog light. The problem with this arrangement is that I have to press 2-buttons to activate the system and I need only 1-button to perform the job. There are also some logistics troubles as the results of having 2-control units and also the transmitter is very small (about 1-third of the smaller mobile telephone), etc.

let's get real simple here...

what does this rear fog light do?

every car I've owned, including my '49 Buick, had back-up lights. Nowadays they're usually incorporated into the taillight assembly, though in '49 they were separate.

so if the object is to provide more illumination behind you when backing up,,,,,
the wire to your existing backup light will have capacity to drive one of those 45 watt LED aircraft landing lights and it will be energized when you're in reverse.

Back in the days when cars had four headlights (1960's) I used to put 4522's in the inboard two for mega-high beams. But the factory wiring wasn't heavy enough for those 250 watt lamps so i added separate wire and a relay.

in lamp terminology PAR means the glass is round parabolic reflector, the two digits following are its diameter in eighths of an inch.
The GE 4522 landing light is a PAR45, ie 5&5/8 inch diameter.
An old quad car headlight is a PAR46 , 1/8 inch larger. The PAR45 with a piece of inner-tube wrapped around it fits right into an automobile quad-headlamp ring.

The 4522 lamp illuminated cowpastures a half mile away . If that LED landing light has anywhere near comparable lumens, it will really impress your friends.

one of those LED landing lights should give you no electrical problems, just you got to mount it. You shouldn't even need a relay.

but be sure it can't shine at other drivers. i LOATHE those Xenon headlamps in the hands of imbeciles who won't dim them.

over and out,,, old jim

batman29 said:
Many thanks

My background in electronic components is minimal; however I think I am able to follow your instructions. Certainly I will not be able to construct (myself) any ultrasound transmitter/receiver but I may order an already made ultrasound receiver to be located in the rear bumper. I am able to branch a line from a 12V source.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure that you put a low value of FUSE in series with the wire you take off the positive supply, wherever you connect it. I should keep it to 5A or less. That will ensure that any mistakes you make in wiring or construction will only result ina blown fuse!
Have fun.

@ sophie :: amen.

<h2>1. How does a pulse get converted to DC voltage?</h2><p>The process of converting a pulse to DC voltage involves using a rectifier circuit, which essentially converts the AC pulse into a DC pulse. This is achieved by using diodes to block the negative portion of the pulse, resulting in a smoother DC output.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of converting a pulse to DC voltage?</h2><p>The purpose of converting a pulse to DC voltage is to create a steady and continuous voltage signal that can be used to power electronic devices or for other applications that require a stable voltage source.</p><h2>3. What are some common methods for converting pulse to DC voltage?</h2><p>Some common methods for converting pulse to DC voltage include using a full-wave rectifier circuit, a half-wave rectifier circuit, or a voltage multiplier circuit. These methods vary in complexity and efficiency, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.</p><h2>4. Are there any limitations to converting pulse to DC voltage?</h2><p>Yes, there are some limitations to converting pulse to DC voltage. One limitation is that the output voltage may not be completely smooth and may have some ripple or fluctuations. Additionally, the output voltage may not be able to reach very high levels, depending on the circuit design and components used.</p><h2>5. What are some potential applications for converting pulse to DC voltage?</h2><p>Converting pulse to DC voltage has a wide range of applications, including power supplies for electronic devices, battery charging, signal processing, and motor control. It is also commonly used in industries such as telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace.</p>

1. How does a pulse get converted to DC voltage?

The process of converting a pulse to DC voltage involves using a rectifier circuit, which essentially converts the AC pulse into a DC pulse. This is achieved by using diodes to block the negative portion of the pulse, resulting in a smoother DC output.

2. What is the purpose of converting a pulse to DC voltage?

The purpose of converting a pulse to DC voltage is to create a steady and continuous voltage signal that can be used to power electronic devices or for other applications that require a stable voltage source.

3. What are some common methods for converting pulse to DC voltage?

Some common methods for converting pulse to DC voltage include using a full-wave rectifier circuit, a half-wave rectifier circuit, or a voltage multiplier circuit. These methods vary in complexity and efficiency, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.

4. Are there any limitations to converting pulse to DC voltage?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting pulse to DC voltage. One limitation is that the output voltage may not be completely smooth and may have some ripple or fluctuations. Additionally, the output voltage may not be able to reach very high levels, depending on the circuit design and components used.

5. What are some potential applications for converting pulse to DC voltage?

Converting pulse to DC voltage has a wide range of applications, including power supplies for electronic devices, battery charging, signal processing, and motor control. It is also commonly used in industries such as telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace.