Solving Window Comparator Circuit: What Could Be Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses an error that occurs when simulating a circuit, specifically with the LM311 subcircuit. It is suggested to check the library and try using a different comparator. The desired output results of 5 volts for VTL and 7 volts for VTH are not being achieved.
EEStudent
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4825/sdfsbe9.jpg

i am getting this error when i simulated the above circuit
what could be wrong

**** CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

** Creating circuit file "window-SCHEMATIC1-window.sim.cir"
** WARNING: THIS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED FILE MAY BE OVERWRITTEN BY SUBSEQUENT SIMULATIONS

*Libraries:
* Local Libraries :
* From [PSPICE NETLIST] section of C:\Program Files\OrcadLite\PSpice\PSpice.ini file:
.lib "nom.lib"

*Analysis directives:
.DC LIN V_V1 1 10 1
.PROBE V(*) I(*) W(*) D(*) NOISE(*)
.INC ".\window-SCHEMATIC1.net"

**** INCLUDING window-SCHEMATIC1.net ****
* source WINDOW
V_V2 N01792 0 1V
R_R3 N01792 N01819 4.7k
V_V3 N04475 0 15V
R_R4 0 N01599 4.7k
V_V4 0 N04302 15V
R_R5 N04475 N04655 4.7k
R_R7 N01692 N01792 4.7k
X_U1 N01819 N01599 N04475 N04302 N04655 0 LM311
R_R8 N01904 N01536 4.7k
R_R9 N01904 0 4.7k
R_R6 N01692 N01645 4.7k
X_U2 N01692 N01904 N04475 N04302 N04655 0 LM311
V_V1 N01536 0 6V
R_R1 N01536 N01819 4.7k
V_Vin N01645 0 1V
R_R2 N01645 N01599 4.7k

**** RESUMING window-SCHEMATIC1-window.sim.cir ****
.END

ERROR -- Subcircuit LM311 used by X_U1 is undefined
ERROR -- Subcircuit LM311 used by X_U2 is undefined

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help.

The error says that the LM311 subcircuit is not defined. Sounds like there is some issue with the library. Did you put the LM311 parts into the schematic yourself from your library, or did you get the circuit from someplace else, and you don't have the LM311 in your PC's installation of the simulator?

lm311 is in the library. under opamp. i don't know why it says undefined.

i am trying to get the vtl and vth.. in the simulation which is vtl = 5v
and vth = 7v..

Last edited:
Try deleting them and re-inserting them into the schematic.

i have tried deleting it and reinserting them several times it doesn't work.. same error

Can you try using a different comparator instead of the LM311? Do you get the same error? You might try PSPICE's support pages to see if it has some entries for that error. Could be a library file directory placement problem or something.

lm111 does give a output but i think it is wrong... since it does not give me a square wave..

and 5 volts vtl and 7 volts vth... i think its wrong

1. What is a window comparator circuit and how does it work?

A window comparator circuit is an electronic circuit used to compare a signal to two reference voltages. It consists of two operational amplifiers with one input connected to the signal and the other input connected to a reference voltage. The output of the circuit will be high if the signal falls within the range between the two reference voltages, and low if it falls outside of the range.

2. How do I know if my window comparator circuit is not functioning properly?

If your window comparator circuit is not functioning properly, it may produce incorrect output signals or no output signal at all. You may also notice abnormal behavior or fluctuations in the output signal. In some cases, the circuit may also overheat or produce a burning smell.

3. What are the most common causes of errors in a window comparator circuit?

The most common causes of errors in a window comparator circuit include incorrect connections, faulty components, incorrect component values, and improper power supply. It is also possible that the circuit design itself is flawed.

4. How can I troubleshoot my window comparator circuit?

To troubleshoot a window comparator circuit, you can start by checking all the connections to ensure they are correct and secure. Then, test each component individually to identify any faulty components. You can also check the voltage levels at different points in the circuit to identify any discrepancies. If the circuit design is the issue, you may need to consult with an expert or refer to the circuit's design specifications.

5. How can I prevent errors in my window comparator circuit?

To prevent errors in a window comparator circuit, it is important to carefully follow the circuit's design specifications and use high-quality components. Double-check all connections before powering on the circuit and regularly check for any signs of wear or damage in the components. It is also a good practice to test the circuit before using it in any critical applications.

Back