Early warning signs of heart attack.

• Medical
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, the conversation discusses the article "Not a Moment Too Soon, I Thought of Tim Russert," which describes a man's experience with a heart attack while cycling and highlights the importance of recognizing early warning signs. The symptoms of nausea, shortness of breath, and chest discomfort are discussed as possible indicators of a heart attack. The conversation also mentions that these symptoms can often be dismissed as general illnesses and the importance of taking them seriously, especially for individuals over 50 years old. Tips for recognizing and responding to heart attack symptoms are also mentioned, including taking aspirin and receiving an annual physical exam. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the correct dosage of aspirin for heart attack prevention.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I found this article, which is relavant to men and some women of 50 yrs or older.

Not a Moment Too Soon, I Thought of Tim Russert

The ride a few Saturdays back was a tough one. At 6:30 a.m., the pack took off fast and immediately headed for the hills near Durham, N.H. The first few climbs felt pretty good, but by the third hill I started to feel nauseated.

Figuring that was probably a result of the four beers and large Chinese dinner the night before, I kept going. Twenty-five miles into the ride, I had fallen to the back of the pack. I was short of breath and wondering how I was going to make it much farther.

I am someone who hates to quit. But after the third time the group had to stop and wait for me, I decided I had no choice. I watched them pedal away, then lay down in the grass.

I was angry and scared. For the first time my body had given out on me, and I had no clue what was going on. Besides the nausea, my only symptoms were a persistent cough and an overwhelming feeling that something was not right.
. . . .

I had good cholesterol numbers and a great doctor, and recently I had passed a cardiac stress test.
. . . .

[Nausea, shortness of breath, and some discomfort in the chest]

. . . .

A doctor attached some wires to my body and conducted a quick EKG. “Mr. Bicks,” he said minutes later, “you are suffering a heart attack.” . . . .

Tim Russert, a well-known TV journalist died suddenly of a heart attack at the young age of 58. He was being treated for some heart/coronary disease, but when he died it came on suddenly without warning.

Edit: I changed the title to "Early warning signs of heart attack", from "Asypmtomatic heart attack" to be more accurate. As is pointed out, some symptoms may be associated with other ailments and people may too often dismiss them. Russert apparently didn't know he was about to have a massive heart attack.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

A bit misleading to call that "asymptomatic." Nausea, cough, shortness of breath are all heart attack symptoms. I think that's the more important message. Even with all the media coverage attempting to educate the public, too many people think heart attack symptoms must include crushing chest pain radiating into the left arm, and this just isn't always the case. It can be a persistent back ache, nausea, coughing (coughing can also be a symptom of aortic aneurysm where the aneurysm is pressing on the left recurrent laryngeal nerve, which is a branch off the vagus nerve).

If there's a better term, let's change it. Bicks thought it was nausea from the Chinese food the night before.

Would a cough necessarily be associated with a heart attack.

Certainly shortness of breath, but if one was exercising, one might not think of a heart attack.

Feelings of indigestion or heartburn could also be indications.

My Mother had a pain in her jaw for the better part of a day. When she told me about it later that night, I told her to call EMS. She dismissed it, but I called her hospital, and they came and got her right away.
The pain in her jaw was the only symptom, and it is a very common symptom for woman over 50. Sadly too much damage was done in the hours before help arrived.

The problem is that the symptoms are also associated with general illnesses that you generally don't seek medical attention for. At what point should you be alarmed when you have symptoms such as a cough or nausea?

hypatia said:
My Mother had a pain in her jaw for the better part of a day. When she told me about it later that night, I told her to call EMS. She dismissed it, but I called her hospital, and they came and got her right away.
The pain in her jaw was the only symptom, and it is a very common symptom for woman over 50. Sadly too much damage was done in the hours before help arrived.
I've heard that women have different symptoms from men. Some describe the pain in the jaw or shoulder, or pain or numbness in the arm.

My maternal grandfather died of a massive heart attack in his bedroom. He was living with my mom's sister at the time. The autopsy revealed indications of earlier heart attacks, and he probably dismissed the symptoms being the stoic he was.

Monique said:
The problem is that the symptoms are also associated with general illnesses that you generally don't seek medical attention for. At what point should you be alarmed when you have symptoms such as a cough or nausea?
That's a very good point. Certainly like Bicks realized, shortness of breath or fatigue/tiredness in conjunction with the other symptoms. When one is over 50 and overweight, then these symptoms should be taken seriously. However, these days, perhaps men over 40 should be concerned.

An annual physical exam with one's doctor is recommended.

Become familiar with the warning signs -
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3053#Heart_Attack

One precaution would be to take apirin if one feels the symptoms, putting one under the tongue for quicker absorption, but take 600-1000 mg.

berkeman said:
That dose sounds a little high. I've seen 325mg (one adult aspirin) before:

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/aspirin-for-heart-attack-and-unstable-angina
The adult dose is 650 mg every 4 hrs for pain relief. I've usually take 2 or sometimes 3 depending. For a heart attack, I'd want to get absorption as quickly as possible.

I heard recently, lower doses of aspirin (baby size) are recommended if one wants to take it daily for cardiac benefits.

What if one has pains in ones chest that shoot down ones arm and you're in you're twenties? Hypothetically of course :uhh:

hypatia said:

That's a tough one, when it's the only symptom, because most people think toothache, not heart attack, and figure it can wait a day to get to the dentist.

As Monique mentioned, the problem isn't the lack of symptoms, but realizing that symptoms that are easily considered signs of something else entirely really are serious signs of trouble.

hypatia, was the onset of the jaw pain really rapid, or something your mom just woke up with in the morning and didn't know when during the night it began? Sometimes that is the best indicator that something needs quick medical attention, even if you don't know it's something as serious as a heart attack, that the onset is very rapid.

For example, if you're coming down with a cold, the coughing doesn't usually start right away, and starts off gradually with a scratchy throat, some sniffling, postnasal drip, developing into more of a cough. If you just start coughing and feeling nauseous really suddenly, with no lead in of other symptoms, that should merit getting medical attention...even if it turns out it's a rapid onset of food poisoning rather than a heart attack, it's never a bad idea to at least head to the nearest urgent care location to have it checked out right away rather than trying to wait it out.

Same with toothaches. They really don't usually show up all at once. You start getting that sensitive tooth that you ignore for a while, trying to put off going to a dentist, and then it starts as a little soreness until it becomes an unbearable ache. If you suddenly wake up with a lot of pain in the jaw, and had no prior reason to think you had a bad tooth worsening, head to a doctor (or even a dentist...the dentists have enough training to recognize some of these symptoms for what they are and can call the paramedics too, or find out if it's an abscess or some other problem). Again, even if it's "just" an abscess, that would need rather rapid treatment too, so you still shouldn't put off seeking treatment if you have that sort of pain.

Kurdt said:
What if one has pains in ones chest that shoot down ones arm and you're in you're twenties? Hypothetically of course :uhh:

People can have heart attacks that young too. I have a friend whose fiance died of a heart attack at age 30. He had seemed perfectly healthy and fit until the heart attack. Young men tend to dismiss the shoulder and arm pain, especially if it follows a vigorous workout, because they think they just "pulled something." It's always worth getting checked out. Again, what's the worst that happens? You go to the doctor and find out you just pulled something. Much better than not going and it turning out to be a heart attack.

I'm sure I've worn out my nerve or something because I sleep on that arm and I've had it for over a year, but its annoying all the same.

My Mom woke up in the morning with it, rapid onset in my speculation. She had been telling my dad for over a week that she felt really tired.
And Kurdt, I whole heartedly agree with moonbear, what harm would it do to just have it checked out?

I've been to the docs I'm fine. Its just weird and initially scary.

It was in the news recently that doctors are becoming overloaded with work.

Patients are going to the doctor with minor injuries or illnesses that require your body to heal itself. They attributed the rise in people seeking medical care to the fact that society is individualizing (people don't ask their neighbor or family members for advice) and the fact that there are many hospital-series on t.v. where you are confronted with very sick people that require immediate care.

They were advocating that you shouldn't seek immediate healthcare, but wait it out. I immediate thought of cases like these, where vague symptoms can be life-threatening, and how the advice would discourage people to seek medical help when they really need it.

I think Moonbear hits the spot right on, if the symptoms show up with a sudden onset and don't get better soon, you need to be alert. I think your body will let you know when something is not right ("an overwhelming feeling that something was not right"), you shouldn't let your brain dismiss it.

All last week my husband complained that his arms felt weak. No pain, just weak. Today he complained of shortness of breath. I said maybe we should go to the ER, just to have them check it out...he said no. But I kept on nagging, and then he said, I'm ok, just something does not feel right. Alarms went off in my head, remembering the OP of this thread. I rushed him to the ER.
At 3 pm he underwent Angioplasty, two arteries were 90% blocked. Stints are in place, and I get to bring him home in 2 days.

Thank you so much Astro for posting that article, with the key words "feeling that something was not right". I can't even express how grateful I am, it saved my husbands life.

hypatia said:
All last week my husband complained that his arms felt weak. No pain, just weak. Today he complained of shortness of breath. I said maybe we should go to the ER, just to have them check it out...he said no. But I kept on nagging, and then he said, I'm ok, just something does not feel right. Alarms went off in my head, remembering the OP of this thread. I rushed him to the ER.
At 3 pm he underwent Angioplasty, two arteries were 90% blocked. Stints are in place, and I get to bring him home in 2 days.

Thank you so much Astro for posting that article, with the key words "feeling that something was not right". I can't even express how grateful I am, it saved my husbands life.

Oh my goodness! Glad you got him there in time!

Honestly, I might not of pushed it if he hadn't said what he did.

hypatia said:
Honestly, I might not of pushed it if he hadn't said what he did.
Hypatia, I am so glad that you had the feeling to take him!

I hope he wil have a good recovery, and know that you are in my thoughts!

hypatia said:

Actually it was Monique.

Monique said:
I think your body will let you know when something is not right ("an overwhelming feeling that something was not right"), you shouldn't let your brain dismiss it.

Well spotted hypatia. Hope he recovers soon.

Way to go, Hypatia!

Incidentely when it was my turn to get one, there were no early signs whatsoever. It was Christmas eve and one of the neighbours daughters had fallen through the ice in the pond in front of the house. So when I saw that, I rushed to the house, got a few big poles and rushed back. I'm sure I broke the 200 meter speed record and not by a little bit. I put the poles on the ice which was way to thin to carry a persons weight and started to work my way to the girl on the poles. However, somebody else had called 112 (911) and a scuba diver of the fire department overtook me and rescued the girl. So that ended the hero story. Nevertheless the adrenaline may have pushed me over the edge.

An hour later I was in the hospital with a dozen mammoths pressing on my chest. It was diagnosed to be methione-whatever-deficiency which seems to cause the arteries to get rough, which can cause clogging. It appears that the daily folic acid suppresses the problem nicely now, but that was what stopped me from flying.

Thanks all, I'm off to visit him right now.

hypatia said:

Great stuff, well done hypatia. Glad that he is going to be alright.

hypatia said:

Wow! I am glad you pushed him to go to the ER.

I posted the thread with the intent to raise awareness of heart attacks. They are way more common than should be.

And as Evo indicated it was Monique who wrote the phrase, "an overwhelming feeling that something was not right", which is a great way to put it. So special thanks to Monique!

I wish hubby a rapid recovery!

I'm so happy your alarm bells were raised, you did the right thing by taking control of the situation. It were actually the words from Astronuc's article that I emphasized, because they felt really important. I think all the people who read this thread will now have them imprinted in their mind so that they can take appropriate action :smile:

I got to bring him home last night, and he is doing very well.:smile: He is going to half to give up a few bad habits, he seems happy to do it, and just very grateful to be alive. Big group HUGS, thank you all.

"Silent" heart attacks more common than thought
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090417/sc_nm/us_heart_attack

CHICAGO (Reuters) – A study using new imaging technology found "silent" heart attacks may be far more common, and more deadly, than suspected, U.S. researchers said Friday.

Some studies estimate that these often painless heart attacks, also known as unrecognized myocardial infarctions, affect 200,000 people in the United States each year.

But Dr. Han Kim of Duke University in North Carolina suspects the numbers may be far higher.

"No one has fully understood how often these heart attacks occur and what they mean, in terms of prognosis," Kim, whose study will appear next week in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Medicine, said in a statement.

Doctors usually can tell whether a patient has had a recent heart attack by looking for signature changes on a test of the heart's electrical activity called an electrocardiogram and by checking for certain enzymes in the blood.

For a heart attack that might have occurred in the past, doctors look for changes on an electrocardiogram called a Q-wave, a marker for damaged tissue.

But not all silent heart attacks result in Q-waves.
. . . .
Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in the United States, followed by cancer and stroke.
The article an be found at http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000060

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the common early warning signs of a heart attack?

The most common early warning signs of a heart attack include chest pain or discomfort, shortness of breath, nausea or vomiting, cold sweat, and lightheadedness. These symptoms may occur suddenly or gradually and may vary from person to person.

2. Is chest pain always an early warning sign of a heart attack?

No, not all chest pain is a sign of a heart attack. Chest pain can also be caused by other conditions such as acid reflux, muscle strain, or anxiety. However, if you experience chest pain along with other symptoms such as shortness of breath and cold sweat, it is important to seek medical attention.

3. Can early warning signs of a heart attack differ between men and women?

Yes, early warning signs of a heart attack can differ between men and women. While men may experience the classic symptoms of chest pain, women may experience more subtle symptoms such as fatigue, back pain, and indigestion. It is important for both men and women to pay attention to any unusual symptoms and seek medical help if needed.

4. How long do early warning signs of a heart attack last?

The duration of early warning signs of a heart attack can vary. Some people may experience symptoms for a few minutes, while others may have symptoms that last for hours. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you experience any symptoms, regardless of how long they last.

5. Are there any risk factors that increase the likelihood of experiencing early warning signs of a heart attack?

Yes, there are several risk factors that can increase the likelihood of experiencing early warning signs of a heart attack. These include age, family history of heart disease, smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and a sedentary lifestyle. It is important to manage these risk factors to reduce the chances of a heart attack.