Why is the frequency of 58 kHz used in acousto-magnetic anti-theft systems?

• Thread starter Zilfarion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the frequency of 58 kHz used in anti-theft systems is likely a standard set by manufacturers for the bars and tags to be resonant with each other. It is not a magic number and may vary between different manufacturers. It may limit the topic for a project demonstration, but further research may uncover other potential ideas.
Zilfarion
I was wondering why manufacturers only makes these anti-theft systems send out a frequency of 58 kHz. Is there something that will change in the system if we make the frequency higher or lower? Always been wondering that and if 58 kHz does end up being a limit, then why is it one?

I might use this as a project demonstration we have to do for my college, but I just wanted to make sure that it's of a significance for me to delve deeper into. I already did the basic research on how the EAS works, but this is one thing I haven't found or been able to figure out myself.

Any help would be appreciated and if this doesn't work out, I'll just look for another project to do. Don't have much inspiration at the moment so if you can suggest something to than that will help me out too =3.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting technology- I haven't heard of it before. Very clever. Nice choice of topic.

58 kHz is likely a standard, created by the main manufacturers of the detection system. Since the bars have to be resonant with a particular frequency, and there are many different manufacturers of the tag, everyone needs to standardize the design. I don't think there is anything magic about 58 kHz.

Hmm, I guess so... Guess I can't really do much about this as a project then, unless I find something else to concentrate on. But I'll still search a bit more until I really can't find anything cause I seriously can't think of another project that I might be able to do. Thanks for the small tidbit of info though

1. What is an acousto-magnetic system?

An acousto-magnetic system is a type of electronic security system that uses a combination of acoustic and magnetic technologies to detect and deter theft. It is commonly used in retail stores to prevent shoplifting.

2. How does an acousto-magnetic system work?

An acousto-magnetic system works by emitting high-frequency sound waves and creating a magnetic field around a designated area. When an object with a specific acousto-magnetic tag passes through this area, it disrupts the sound waves and causes a change in the magnetic field, triggering an alarm.

3. What are the advantages of using an acousto-magnetic system?

Some advantages of using an acousto-magnetic system include its high detection rate, ability to detect multiple items at once, and immunity to outside interference. It also has a low false alarm rate, making it a reliable security measure for retailers.

4. Are there any limitations to using an acousto-magnetic system?

One limitation of acousto-magnetic systems is that they are typically more expensive than other types of electronic security systems. They also have a limited detection range, so multiple systems may be needed for larger areas. Additionally, strong magnetic fields can interfere with their performance.

5. Can acousto-magnetic systems be easily integrated with other security systems?

Yes, acousto-magnetic systems can be easily integrated with other security systems, such as CCTV cameras and access control systems. This allows for a comprehensive security approach and better management of store operations.