Thermo Physics/Boyles Law

• Thread starter WannabChemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Thermo
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help on writing equations on a computer for a physics course. They have included Boyles Law as an example and have questions about the equation and its meaning. They also question the use of constants and how to interpret equations.
WannabChemist

Homework Statement

How do I write equations on a computer?

I need some help with some Physics equations. I am about to take a course. I have very poor math skills, so I am hoping to improve my confidence, while learning some interesting equations.

I have included Boyles Law as it is the Boyle Law equation that helped me realize that I am missing something. I have studied Earth Science so far. I start chemistry/Physics next Trimester.

Homework Equations

My first question regards the equation: p = po + pgh

p = Pressure
o = angle (I think)
h = height (I think)

I don't know what the g stands for.

I infer that the equation is saying: pressure = pressure x angle + pressure x g x height

This makes no sense to me

The other question regards the following pV = K1.

This is known as Boyles law. It explains the behavior of gas.

I understand Boyles Law, but not why it is expressed with that equation. If I were to read that equation without knowing anything about Boyles Law I would read it as the following:

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume p (pressure) = 5pa and V (volume) = 4m3.

K1 = Constant

5 x 4 = Constant (it actually equals 20?!)

Which in my view makes no sense. I learned at high school if two letters are beside each other with no symbol, than you multiply them. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
My first question regards the equation: p = po + pgh

p = Pressure
o = angle (I think)
h = height (I think)

po is initial pressure. g is acceleration due to gravity.

pV = K1. for constant temperature pV is constant. K ar K1 does not make any difference.

I would suggest that you first focus on understanding the concepts and principles behind the equations, rather than just trying to memorize and manipulate them. Thermo Physics and Boyle's Law are both complex topics that require a strong foundation in math and physics. I would recommend taking some time to review basic math concepts and then move on to learning the fundamentals of physics, such as units, equations, and principles. Once you have a solid understanding of these, you can then start to work on more advanced topics like Thermo Physics and Boyle's Law.

In terms of writing equations on a computer, there are a few ways to do so. One option is to use a word processing program, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, and use the equation editor feature. This allows you to create mathematical equations using symbols and formatting options. Another option is to use a specialized software program, such as LaTeX, which is commonly used for writing scientific documents and equations.

Regarding your questions about the equations, the first one, p = po + pgh, is the equation for hydrostatic pressure, where p is the total pressure, po is the atmospheric pressure, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the column of liquid. This equation is derived from the principles of fluid mechanics and is used to calculate the pressure at a certain depth in a liquid.

The second equation, pV = K1, is known as Boyle's Law and states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional at a constant temperature. This means that as one variable increases, the other decreases, and their product remains constant. K1 is a constant that depends on the specific gas and temperature. So, in your example, when p = 5pa and V = 4m3, the product of pV is still equal to K1, which is why you get a value of 20. This equation is derived from the ideal gas law and is used to explain the behavior of gases.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of Thermo Physics and Boyle's Law. Remember to focus on understanding the concepts and principles, rather than just trying to memorize equations. Good luck with your studies!

What is Thermo Physics?

Thermo Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as the pressure of a gas increases, its volume decreases and vice versa.

What is the equation for Boyle's Law?

The equation for Boyle's Law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of a gas, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume of the gas. This equation shows the inverse relationship between pressure and volume in Boyle's Law.

What are some real-life applications of Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law has many practical applications, such as in SCUBA diving, where it is used to calculate the amount of air needed for a diver at different depths. It is also used in the design of compressed air systems, gas springs, and aerosol cans.

How does temperature affect Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law only holds true when the temperature of a gas remains constant. If the temperature changes, the law will not apply. This is because as temperature increases, the particles in a gas gain more kinetic energy and move faster, causing the pressure and volume to change in a non-proportional manner.