Projectile Motion w/ unknown initial velocity & uneven launch/landing points

In summary: Thank you very much!In summary, a baseball thrown at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal strikes a building 18 meters away at a point 6 meters above the point from which it is thrown. By using kinematic equations and solving for time, the magnitude and direction of the initial and final velocities of the baseball can be found. The correct magnitude of the initial velocity is 15.9 meters per second.
txaggiejs18

Homework Statement

A baseball thrown at an angle of 60.0 above the horizontal strikes a building 18.0m away at a point 6.00m above the point from which it is thrown. Ignore air resistance.

A) Find the magnitude of the initial velocity of the baseball (the velocity with which the baseball is thrown).
B) Find the magnitude of the velocity of the baseball just before it strikes the building.
C) Find the direction of the velocity of the baseball just before it strikes the building.

known:
initial angle = 60o
x = 18, y = 6 @ point of impact
a = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

x = v0x*t
y = v0y*t + .5*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by manipulating the equations above to create an equation that solves for the magnitude of the velocity, v at x=18, y=6 :

18 = cos(60)*v*t
6 = sin(60)*v*t + .5*a*t2

t = 18/(cos(60)*v)
6 = sin(60)*v*(18/(cos(60)*v))+.5*-9.8*(18/(cos(60)*v))2
v = sqrt((.5*-9.8*182)/(6-(18*sin(60)/cos(60))))/cos(60)

And using this I found v to be 15.9, which is incorrect. I don't think the rest will be any problem if I can figure out v, but I can't find what I'm doing wrong for the life of me. Also, if there is a different approach I should be taking please tell me, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the position kinematic equation y=-1/2gt^2+vsin(60)t+yo and set the final value (y)at six meters. And the equation x=-1/2gt^2+vcos(60)t+xo, since there is no acceleration in the x vector the equation becomes 18=vcos(60)t, therefore v=18/cos(60)t sub it into the y position equation. You get 6=-4.9t^2+(18*sin(60))/(cos(60)), or t=sqrt((18tan(60)-6)/4.9). Then sub the time back into the v=18/cos(60)t equation. V=9*sqrt((18tan(60)-6)/4.9)

Last edited:
Try using the position kinematic equation y=-1/2gt^2+vsin(60)t+yo and set the final value (y)at six meters. Solve for time the substitute the time into the velocity equation in the x direction, then just solve for average velocity.

Doesn't this lead to a quadratic equation with t? That's what I ended up with and it's getting messy and even harder to follow...unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Sorry about the first post I edited it, you were on the right track just use substitution

Ah, thank you...I just realized that I was entering 15.9 into the wrong blank on the submission form...I'm resisting the urge to slam my fist through my wall.

1. How can I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile with uneven launch and landing points?

To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile with uneven launch and landing points, you will need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion. You will also need to know the launch angle, the horizontal distance traveled, and the vertical displacement. By plugging in these values into the equations, you can solve for the initial velocity.

2. What is the difference between the range and the maximum height of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance traveled from the launch point to the landing point. The maximum height, on the other hand, is the highest vertical position reached by the projectile during its flight. These values can be calculated using the equations of motion for projectile motion.

3. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be negative, depending on the direction of the launch. A negative initial velocity indicates that the projectile is launched in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is usually considered to be upward.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. In cases where air resistance is significant, the projectile will not follow a parabolic path, as predicted by the equations of motion for projectile motion. Instead, it will have a shorter range and a lower maximum height.

5. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform projectile motion?

In uniform projectile motion, the projectile travels at a constant velocity in the horizontal direction and experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity in the vertical direction. This results in a parabolic trajectory. In non-uniform projectile motion, the projectile's velocity and acceleration are not constant, causing the trajectory to deviate from a parabola.