Differential limiting amplifier

In summary: I can help you analyze the amplifier using transistor theory. First, can you determine what the state of the circuit is at quiescence (that is, with no input signal)? I'm assuming you're familiar with basic transistor theory, here.In quiescence, the voltage across R3 is zero, and the voltage across R4 is also zero. The voltage across R5 is the sum of the voltages across R3 and R4, which is equal to the voltage across R2.The current through Q2 is the same as the current through Q1.The state of the circuit at quiescence is the same as the state of the circuit with the input signal applied.Now, what happens to the output when you apply
mmzaj
HI

i know that the circuit attached to this thread is a differential limiting amplifier , and the collector of Q2 acts as a current source , but other than that , i can't get my mind around it ! P1 is the input , P5 is the output , and Vcc is +12 connected to the 27 R .

could someone please walk me step by step on how to analyze (understand) this freakin Amp !

Attachments

• limiter.jpg
    limiter.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 389
Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's see if we can help you work this out on your own. First of all, can you determine what the state of the circuit is at quiescence (that is, with no input signal)? I'm assuming you're familiar with basic transistor theory, here.

well , here is a detailed DC analysis :

5=[tex]I_{B_{1}}R_{3}+V_{BE}+(\beta_{1}+1)R_{5}(I_{B_{1}}+I_{B_{2}})[/tex]

and

5=[tex]I_{B_{1}}R_{4}+V_{BE}+(\beta_{2}+1)R_{5}(I_{B_{1}}+I_{B_{2}})[/tex]

but because [tex]R_{3}=R_{4}=:R[/tex] obviously :

[tex]I_{B_{1}}=I_{B_{2}}=:I_{B} [/tex]

(( and [tex]\beta_{1}=\beta_{2}=:\beta [/tex] assuming Q1 , Q2 are matched ))

and

[tex] 5-0.7=(R+2(\beta+1)R_{5})I_{B}[/tex]

hence

[tex] I_{B}=\frac{4.3}{R+2(\beta+1)R_{5}}[/tex]

applying KVL to the outer loop :

[tex] 12=2\beta R_{2}I_{B}+V_{CE_{1}}+2(\beta+1)I_{B}R_{5}[/tex]

[tex] 12=2\beta R_{2}I_{B}+V_{CE_{2}}+ \beta I_{B} R_{6}+2(\beta+1)I_{B}R_{5}[/tex]

we have [tex]I_{b}[/tex] , and we can find [tex]V_{CE_{1}},V_{CE_{2}}[/tex] , and the rest of Is and Vs .

Nicely done.

Now, what happens to the output when you apply a signal which gradually increases in, say, +0.5 V increments to P2? We'll bypass P1 for now, since we just want to observe what happens at various instantaneous input voltage levels.

(I'll be off to bed now, so take your time!)

sadly , i don't have a scanner in order to upload my work , so i have to post it using latex , and man , it's sooo painful !

anyways , i'am not sure i got it right here , i neglected the effect of the capacitors , and didn't switch to AC small signal analysis !

let V @ P2 be [tex] V_{i} [/tex]

then [tex] V_{i}=V_{BE_{1}}+(\beta +1)R_{5}(I_{B_{1}}+I_{B_{2}})[/tex]

[tex]5=I_{B_{2}}R_{4}+V_{BE_{2}}+(\beta_{2}+1)R_{5}(I_{B_{1}} +I_{B_{2}})[/tex]

=>[tex] 5=I_{B_{2}}R_{4}+V_{i}[/tex]

but [tex] 5=I_{B_{1}}R_{3}+V_{i}[/tex]

=> [tex] I_{B_{1}}=I_{B_{2}}=:I_{B}[/tex]

now

[tex]V_{CE_{2}}=12-(2\beta R_{2}+\beta R_{6}+2(\beta +1)R_{5})I_{B} = 12-\frac{(2\beta R_{2}+\beta R_{6}+2(\beta +1)R_{5})(5-V_{i})}{R_{3}}[/tex]

let [tex]\frac{2\beta R_{2}+\beta R_{6}+2(\beta +1)R_{5}}{R_{3}}=:X[/tex]

[tex]V_{E}=2(\beta +1)R_{5}I_{B}=\frac{2(\beta +1)R_{5}(5-V_{i})}{R_{3}}[/tex]

let [tex] \frac{2(\beta +1)R_{5}}{R_{3}}=:Y[/tex]

[tex] V_{C_{2}}=V_{E}+V_{CE_{2}}=12+(Y-X)(5-V_{i}) [/tex]

i don't have the data sheet of the 2N3904 - yet!- in order to obtain [tex]\beta[/tex] , but clearly X>Y ... =>

[tex] V_{o} =V_{C_{2}}=A+gV_{i}[/tex] where A is a DC offset , and g is some sort of a gain !

bare with me friend , i'am a detailed person !

vk6kro said:
However, you need to look at the bias arrangements to see the real picture.
Those 1K resistors are very small and will hold the transistors deeply in saturation.

So, the small signal analysis doesn't really apply. This is a large signal circuit and will tend to poduce square wave output.
Not quite true. Both bases are approx the same voltage (but there should be a pot to balance small offsets). The voltage across R5 (820 ohms) is about 4.3 volts, so current is about 5.2 mA. This current is split between the two transistors equally. The voltage across R2 (27 ohms) is about 0.14 volts, and across R6 (820 ohms) is about 2.15 volts. So Q2 and by inference Q1 are both in the middle of their linear range. Good small signal amplifier.

Yes, sorry. I missed the 5V supply for the 1 Ks.

1. What is a differential limiting amplifier?

A differential limiting amplifier is an electronic device that amplifies a differential input signal while limiting the output signal to a specific range. It is commonly used in communication systems to amplify weak signals and suppress noise.

2. How does a differential limiting amplifier work?

A differential limiting amplifier works by first amplifying the differential input signal using a differential amplifier. Then, the amplified signal is passed through a limiting circuit which limits the output signal to a specific range. This helps to reduce signal distortion and improve the overall signal quality.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential limiting amplifier?

There are several advantages of using a differential limiting amplifier, including improved signal-to-noise ratio, reduced signal distortion, and increased dynamic range. It also helps to improve the overall performance of communication systems by maintaining signal integrity.

4. What are the applications of a differential limiting amplifier?

Differential limiting amplifiers are commonly used in communication systems, such as radio, television, and satellite communication. They are also used in instrumentation and measurement systems to amplify weak signals and filter out noise. Additionally, they can be found in audio equipment and medical devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using a differential limiting amplifier?

One limitation of using a differential limiting amplifier is that it is only effective for differential input signals. It may not be suitable for single-ended input signals. Additionally, the limiting circuit may introduce some distortion to the output signal, which can affect the overall signal quality.