Calculating Jump Landing Position

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the landing position of a man who jumps using his speed, gravity, and jump height in 3D space. The formula for calculating the time and distance traveled is discussed, and the conversation ends with the individual requesting for the equation to use. The summary also mentions that the problem may be more complex and that the individual has some background in physics.
Bozzy
Hi,

I need a bit of help with the following:

I need to calculate the landing position of a man if he jumped, using his speed, gravity and jump height. This needs to be done in 3D-space.

I would use the template, but I really don't know where to start. I imagine it's something to do with momentum and such, but I'm really struggling to grasp what I need to do.

Any sort of help at all would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to do it in 3D space for? Is there an associated diagram with the man jumping in (x,y,z) coordinates?

Assuming drag force from air is minimal to 0, the time it takes for an object to fall is independent of its speed along the x or z axis (w/o air a bullet and a dropped ball will fall with the same speed.)
Therefore, using his jump height, his initial speed along the y-axis and some basic equations, you can figure out how long he'll be in the air. Therefore, by knowing time (t), and the velocities in the x and z direction determine how far he'll go in each direction.

The problem may be more complex and beyond me (i've only taken AP physics), but i hope this helps.

Hi,

Well, that sounds like it's what I want... Can you write the equation I would need? It's easier for me to grasp stuff from equations!

Cheers,
Rich

Well the easiest way to do this is to realize that without air resistance or anything interfering with his jump that the total time of the jump is equal to twice the time it would take him to fall from that height. It takes the same time to go up as it does to come down in this case.

So we simply calculate the free-fall time from a height 'h' and multiply it by two giving:
T = 2*sqrt(2h/g)
where T is the total time he spends in the air (including going up), and g is the positive acceleration due to gravity.

The rest is easy since we now know the time simply use the equation v = d/t
and you can see that the position (assuming he lands at a place level with his original surface) is directly in front of him a distance of 'r' :
r = 2v*sqrt(2h/g)
v is his velocity before jumping.

What is the purpose of calculating jump landing position?

The purpose of calculating jump landing position is to determine the exact spot where an object or person will land after jumping. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and sports, as it allows for precise measurements and predictions.

What factors are involved in calculating jump landing position?

The factors involved in calculating jump landing position include the initial height of the jump, the angle of the jump, the initial velocity, and the gravitational force acting on the object or person. Other factors that may affect the calculation include air resistance, wind, and surface conditions.

Can jump landing position be accurately predicted?

Yes, jump landing position can be accurately predicted using mathematical equations and formulas. However, there may be some margin of error due to unpredictable factors, such as wind or uneven surfaces. The accuracy of the prediction also depends on the accuracy of the initial measurements and assumptions made.

What is the formula for calculating jump landing position?

The formula for calculating jump landing position is: d = v0²sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the jump, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How is jump landing position used in sports?

In sports, calculating jump landing position is used to improve performance and safety. For example, in long jump or high jump, athletes use this calculation to determine the optimal angle and velocity for their jump. In gymnastics, calculating jump landing position helps prevent injuries by ensuring that the athlete lands in a safe and stable position. It can also be used to measure and compare the performance of different athletes.