Curent Electricity Doubt PLEASE HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of laws such as Biot-Savart law and the concept of current in a wire. The confusion arises from the fact that the current in a small element of the wire is considered to be the same as the overall current in the conductor. This is because current is defined as the amount of charge passing through a cross-section of the wire per unit time and does not depend on the length segment of the wire. Having different currents in different segments of the wire would lead to a buildup of charge, which is inconsistent with Kirchhoff's junction rule.
deepankvora
Curent Electricity Doubt! PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

I did not understand one thing.. If it is given that a wire has a current 'i', then why do we say (in applications of laws such as biot savart law) that the current in a small element of the wire is also 'i', that is the same current that passes through the whole conductor.

Homework Equations

can someone explain this. i got really confused on this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought we should take current in the ' dl ' element of the wire as ' di ' and not i. I am wrong. Please Explain, anyone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Current is [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex], the amount of charge which passes through a cross-section of the wire per unit time. This value does not depend on the length segment of wire.

Also, for one segment of wire to have a different current than another causes a buildup of charge, inconsistent with Kirchhoff's junction rule.

1. What is current electricity?

Current electricity refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is the movement of electrons through a circuit, and is responsible for powering many of the electrical devices we use in our daily lives.

2. How is current electricity generated?

Current electricity can be generated through various methods, including chemical reactions in batteries, electromagnetic induction in generators, and solar cells converting sunlight into electricity.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of current electricity. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in one direction. AC is the type of current used in most household appliances, while DC is used in smaller electronics and batteries.

4. What is the unit of measurement for current electricity?

The unit of measurement for current electricity is the ampere (A), which is a measure of the amount of electric charge passing through a circuit per unit of time.

5. How does current electricity impact our daily lives?

Current electricity plays a crucial role in our daily lives, powering everything from lights and appliances to transportation and communication systems. It has greatly improved our quality of life and has become an essential part of our modern society.