How to insert spaces between words in latex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter johndb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, When using LaTeX, it is not recommended to manually insert spaces between words. LaTeX automatically takes care of spacing between mathematical symbols. However, if necessary, one can use the symbols \, or ~ to insert a space. The ampersand, &, may also work for this purpose.
johndb
How do I how to insert spaces between words in latex, not new lines or indentation, I mean just a regular space that one does with spacebar on a word editor. Couldn't find answer on web.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not really supposed to insert your own spaces. LaTeX takes care of the spacing of mathematical symbols automatically.

If you really do need to insert a space, try the symbol \,

- Warren

Likes Diego Gozer
Thank you it was surprisingly difficult finding the answer for such a simple thing on the net.

chroot said:
You're not really supposed to insert your own spaces. LaTeX takes care of the spacing of mathematical symbols automatically.

If you really do need to insert a space, try the symbol \,
- Warren
The tilde, ~, works for this, and I believe that the ampersand, &, works as well. These are useful if you want text mixed in with your mathematical formulas.

1. How do I insert spaces between words in LaTeX?

To insert spaces between words in LaTeX, you can use the \hspace{} command. The value inside the curly braces specifies the length of the space in inches, centimeters, or any other unit of measurement.

2. Can I insert multiple spaces between words in LaTeX?

Yes, you can insert multiple spaces between words in LaTeX by using the \hspace{} command multiple times with different values. For example, \hspace{0.5in}\hspace{1cm} will insert a space of 0.5 inches followed by a space of 1 centimeter.

3. How can I insert a specific amount of space between words in LaTeX?

You can insert a specific amount of space between words in LaTeX by using the \hspace{} command and specifying the desired length in inches, centimeters, or any other unit of measurement.

4. Is there a way to insert a non-breaking space in LaTeX?

Yes, you can insert a non-breaking space in LaTeX by using the ~ character. This will prevent the space from being broken at the end of a line.

5. Can I insert spaces between words in a math environment in LaTeX?

Yes, you can insert spaces between words in a math environment in LaTeX by using the \quad or \qquad commands. These commands insert a space of a specific length and are commonly used to align equations.