Designing a Two-Source Power System with Automatic Switchover

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a system to switch between two 120V sources, namely an inverter and a normal AC from sticking contact. The desired output is the normal AC from sticking contact, but in case of a shutdown, the output should automatically switch to the inverter. The conversation also mentions the use of relays and the potential danger of working with 120V AC. Ultimately, it is determined that a contactor will be needed to design the system.
newbie123
Hello,

I have two 120V sources. One is inverter and one is normal AC from sticking contact. And i want only one of them as output. Output will be from inverter or 120V from sticking contact.

I want normal AC from sticking contact to be active. If it is shutdown so i want output will automatically switched over to inverter. And if 120V from sticking contact is back so i want it automatically switch to 120V sticking contact.

I have thinked to use relays, but need some help. How to design it out.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Playing with 120V ac is pretty dangerous, you better watch out. Does it need to be controlled by a low DC current or will a switch work?

Hi,

I have found out. I neeed a contactor to do this work. Thanks

1. How does a two-source power system with automatic switchover work?

A two-source power system with automatic switchover is designed to provide a backup power source in case the primary source fails. It consists of two independent power sources, such as a generator and a utility power grid, connected to a switch. The switch constantly monitors the primary source and automatically switches to the backup source if it detects a failure. This ensures a continuous and uninterrupted power supply.

2. What are the benefits of using a two-source power system with automatic switchover?

The main benefit of using a two-source power system with automatic switchover is the reliability and continuity of power supply. In case of a power outage, the backup source will kick in automatically, ensuring that critical systems and equipment remain powered. This system also allows for maintenance and repair of the primary source without any interruption in power supply.

3. How do you choose the appropriate size for a two-source power system with automatic switchover?

The size of the two-source power system with automatic switchover will depend on your specific power needs and the capacity of your primary and backup power sources. It is important to accurately calculate your power requirements and ensure that both sources are capable of meeting those needs. It is recommended to consult a professional electrician or engineer to determine the appropriate size for your system.

4. What are the common challenges in designing a two-source power system with automatic switchover?

One common challenge is ensuring that the switch between the two power sources is seamless and does not cause any interruption in power supply. This requires careful selection and installation of the switch and proper synchronization between the two sources. Another challenge is ensuring that both sources are properly maintained and in good working condition to ensure reliable operation of the system.

5. How can I test the functionality of my two-source power system with automatic switchover?

It is important to regularly test the functionality of your two-source power system with automatic switchover to ensure that it will work properly in case of a power outage. This can be done by simulating a power failure and monitoring the switch to see if it automatically switches to the backup source. It is recommended to perform these tests at least once a year or after any major maintenance or changes to the system.