Simple Harmonic Motion, rigid pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point for a meter stick acting as a physical pendulum with a period of 1.65 seconds. The correct formula for moment of inertia is given using the parallel-axis theorem. The mistake in using a formula for a long rod pivoted at the end is pointed out. The correct solution is .493 meters.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A small hole is drilled in a meter stick is to act as a pivot. The meter stick swings in a short arc as a physical pendulum. How far from the center of mass should the pivot point be for a period of 1.65 seconds?

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia as given in book: I=(1/3)ml^2
T=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]I/mgh
(where t is period, I is moment of inertia, m is mass g is gravity of course, and h is the distance from the pivot oint to the center of mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the I in the second equation. The masses canceled each other out in the square root, l is 1 since it is a meter stick and I used the given T so I end up with the equation...

1.65=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]((1/3)/gh)

And then I solved for h getting .493 meters but my book says this is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you used for the moment of inertia is wrong. The expression you used is for a long rod pivoted at the end, but that's not the case here. You'll want to use the parallel-axis theorem to get the correct expression.

That's really weird because the book has an example with a meter stick and uses that formula for I.

In the example, the meter stick is probably pivoted at its end. That's not what's happening in this problem, so you can't use that expression for I.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts towards the equilibrium point. This results in a back and forth motion around the equilibrium point, with a constant period and amplitude.

2. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to a rigid pendulum?

A rigid pendulum is a physical example of Simple Harmonic Motion, where the pendulum bob swings back and forth in a regular and predictable manner due to the force of gravity acting on it. The restoring force in this case is provided by the tension in the string or rod holding the pendulum bob.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can also be written in terms of velocity (v = Aω cos(ωt + φ)) and acceleration (a = -Aω^2 sin(ωt + φ)).

4. What factors affect the period and frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period and frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion depend on the mass of the object, the spring constant (k), and the displacement from equilibrium (amplitude). A higher mass or stiffer spring will result in a longer period and lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period and higher frequency.

5. How does the length of a rigid pendulum affect its period?

The period of a rigid pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that a longer pendulum will have a longer period, and a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.