Is the Divergence Theorem Valid for a Specific Vector Field on a Cube?

• Thread starter zak8000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation was about verifying the divergence theorem in 3D for a given vector field on a cube bounded by specific planes. The approach involved calculating the divergence of the vector field and then evaluating the flux through each face of the cube separately. However, there was a mistake in using the correct r when calculating the normal for the top face. The correct approach would be to describe the surface, not the vector field.
zak8000

Homework Statement

verify that the divergence theorem in 3-d is true for the vector field F(r)=<3x,xy,2xz>
on the cube bounded by the planes x=0 x=1 y=0 y=1 z=0 z=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so fristly div(F)=d/dx(3x)+d/dy(xy)+d/dz(2xz)=3+3x
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] 3+3xdxdydz=4.5

now i need to evaluate flux through each faces of the cube seperately so i was just wondering if i am doing this write say i would want to evaluate the top surface of the cube
then i would have to parametrize it so would the following be corret
r(x,y,z)=(3x,xy,1)
dr/dx=(3,y,0)
dr/dy=(0,x,0)
(dr/dx) X (dr/dy) = (0,0,3x)
r(x,y,z).((dr/dx) X(dr/dy))= (3x,xy,1).(0,0,3x) = 3x
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] 3x dydx
=3/2

and i have to do the same for all other five surfaces so is this the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not using the correct r when calculating the normal. You want to describe the surface, not the vector field. For the top face, it would be r=(x, y, 1).

ok thanks

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of its divergence. It states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface.

2. Why is the divergence theorem important?

The divergence theorem is important because it allows us to relate the behavior of a vector field on a surface to its behavior within the volume it encloses. This is useful in many applications, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer, where the understanding of the flow of a vector field is crucial.

3. How is the divergence theorem derived?

The divergence theorem can be derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus and the concept of flux. It involves partitioning the surface into small elements and taking the limit as the number of elements approaches infinity. This results in the surface integral being equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field.

4. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to any vector field as long as it is well-behaved and continuous within the region being considered. It is a general theorem that applies to three-dimensional vector fields, and it can also be extended to higher dimensions.

5. Are there any practical applications of the divergence theorem?

Yes, the divergence theorem has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in fluid dynamics to calculate the flow of fluids, in electromagnetism to analyze electric and magnetic fields, and in heat transfer to study the flow of heat. It is also used in computer graphics to simulate the movement of particles and in economics to model the flow of resources.