Sketching this Plane f(x,y) = y + 2x

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the person is struggling to sketch a graph by hand using coordinates and a table. They tried plotting lines with the same slope but different y-intercepts, but are still confused. They are seeking help to understand the concept better.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am the worst human being ever right now. I cannot believe how much trouble I am having trying to sketch this by hand. I am used to just setting the coordinates equal to zero for 2 of them and finding the coordinate intercepts of the third; but that fails in particular case.

I tried to set up a table like so:

[tex]\begin{center} \begin{tabular}
{| 1 | c | }
\hline z & y = z - 2x \\
\hline 0 & y = -2x \\
\hline 1 & y = 1 - 2x \\
\hline 2 & y = 2 - 2x \\
\hline \end{tabular} \end{center}
[/tex]

So I thought that "at" each value of z I could plot the line y = z - 2x and get something that works...but I cannot seem to make it happen.

For example: at z = 0, I would plot y = -2x, which is a line whose slope is -2 and whose y-intercept is 0.

at z = 2, I would plot y = 2 - 2x, which is the line whose slope is -2 and whose y-intercept is at 2.

It is just freaking me out that I have 2 lines with the same slope, yet they intercept y at different points.

Maybe someone can unconfuse me; but then again, maybe not.

Physics news on Phys.org
plot the line y = 2x in the xy plane (z=0), then z can take any value so the plane will bethe vertical extension of that line along the z axis.

1. What is the equation for "Sketching this Plane f(x,y) = y + 2x"?

The equation for "Sketching this Plane f(x,y) = y + 2x" is a linear function that represents a plane in three-dimensional space. It is written in the form of z = y + 2x, where z represents the vertical axis and x and y represent the horizontal axes.

2. How do I plot points for this plane?

To plot points for this plane, you can choose any values for x and y and then use the equation f(x,y) = y + 2x to calculate the corresponding z value. For example, if you choose x = 2 and y = 3, then the corresponding z value would be 2 + (3*2) = 8. Plot this point (2,3,8) on a 3D coordinate plane to visualize the plane.

3. What does the plane look like on a 2D graph?

Since this plane is represented by a linear function in three-dimensional space, it cannot be fully visualized on a two-dimensional graph. However, you can plot the cross-sections of the plane by choosing different values for x and y and plotting the corresponding z values. The resulting graph will be a straight line.

4. How does changing the values of x and y affect the plane?

Changing the values of x and y will result in a change in the position and slope of the plane. For example, if you increase the value of x, the plane will shift to the right, and if you increase the value of y, the plane will shift upwards. The slope of the plane will also change accordingly.

5. What is the significance of this plane in real-life applications?

This plane can be used to represent various real-life applications such as calculating the cost of a product based on its weight (x) and distance (y) from the point of origin. It can also be used in physics to represent the relationship between force (x) and acceleration (y).