Hi i'm an applied maths student i'd like to study about catenary

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for studying about the catenary and its applications. The Wikipedia page on the catenary is suggested, but the person also mentions two books, "Calculus of Variations" by Gelfand and Fomin and "Perfect Form" by Don Lemons, as potential sources for more information on the topic. Both books are recommended for their accessible explanations of the catenary problem, with the latter focusing on a more undergraduate physics approach.
princy
hi I'm an applied maths student i'd like to study about catenary.. where can i get details of catenary and its applications in detail?which book i can refer or is there any website i can go for?

Physics news on Phys.org

There's a nice text by Gelfand and Fomin on the calculus of variations, of which this problem is an example. If you want something more pedestrian try 'Perfect Form' by Don Lemons which also deals with the problem (and many others) but from an undergraduate physics perspective. Both are nice little paperbacks that you can either find at a library or buy used for little.

1. What is a catenary?

A catenary is a mathematical curve that is formed by the hanging of a flexible and uniform cable or chain under its own weight. It is often described as the shape that a chain or cable takes when hanging freely between two fixed points.

2. How is catenary used in applied mathematics?

Catenary is used in various fields of applied mathematics, such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to determine the shape of suspension bridges, power lines, and arches, as well as to model the behavior of cables and ropes under tension.

3. What are the key principles behind catenary?

The key principles behind catenary include the equilibrium of forces, the effects of gravity, and the flexibility of the cable or chain. These principles are used to derive the mathematical equation that describes the shape of a catenary curve.

4. Are there any real-life examples of catenary curves?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of catenary curves. Some of the most famous ones include the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, the Forth Bridge in Scotland, and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.

5. How can I study about catenary as an applied maths student?

As an applied maths student, you can study catenary by taking courses in differential equations, calculus, and mechanics. You can also read books and articles on the subject, and practice solving problems related to catenary curves.