Derivative with respect to

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Sure, no problem! So in an explicit function, y is defined explicitly in terms of x. For example, y = 5x^2 or f(x) = 5x^2. In this case, you can take the derivative with respect to x directly, since you know exactly how y depends on x.In an implicit function, y is not explicitly defined in terms of x. For example, xy^2 = 2x/y. In this case, you cannot take the derivative with respect to x directly, since you don't know exactly how y depends on x. Instead, you use implicit differentiation, where you treat y as a function of x and write dy/dx to represent the derivative of y with respect
guss
I do not understand the difference between taking the derivative, and taking the derivative with respect to x, or taking the derivative with respect to y (or any other variable).

If I take the derivative of y = x^2, I get y' = 2x. What if I use the dy/dx or just the d/dx notation?

so

dy/dx y = dy/dx x^2
vs
d/dx y = d/dx x^2

another example I don't understand would be

dy/dx = 2x
vs
d/dx = 2x
vs
f'(x) = 2x

I know that the d refers to an infinitesimally small number, but I just don't understand the difference between the stuff I mentioned before.

Someone enlighten me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
if you differentiate y(x^2 ) with respect to x, you get 2xy. if you differentiate y(x^2) with respect to y, you get x^2. What is going on is that one is seen as a function of x and the other is seen as a function of y. That is, when y(x^2) is a function of y, after fixing some x, x^2 is just a constant, so that differentiating y(x^2) is like differentiating cx with respect to x, resulting in c.

Sorry, I still don't understand.

Ok, so let's assume you have a function y = f(x). There's a lot of overlap in notation, as you'll see:

f'(x) means to take the derivative of y with respect to x. (same with y')

d/dx means to take the derivative of whatever's after it with respect to x. For example:

d/dx (y), would mean to take the derivative of y with respect to x.

dy/dx means to take the derivative of y with respect to x. The "numerator" indicates what function you're taking the derivative of. The "denominator" indicates what you're differentiating with respect to.

I actually hate the d/dx notations and similar...

guss said:
I do not understand the difference between taking the derivative, and taking the derivative with respect to x, or taking the derivative with respect to y (or any other variable).

If I take the derivative of y = x^2, I get y' = 2x. What if I use the dy/dx or just the d/dx notation?

The point is that y is actually a function, so it would be better to write y(x)=x^2. Then dy/dx just means the derivative of y with respect to x. So

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y'[/tex]

If you want to evaluate this in the point 2, then you write

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}(2)[/tex].

Sometimes, if y=x^2, for example, people will write

[tex]\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex] instead of [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

But I consider that to be very bad notation...

so

dy/dx y = dy/dx x^2
vs
d/dx y = d/dx x^2

The first notation doesn't really makes sense to me. The second would be

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}y:=\frac{dy}{dx}=y'[/tex]

another example I don't understand would be

dy/dx = 2x
vs
d/dx = 2x
vs
f'(x) = 2x

The second notation doesn't make sense to me. The first does, but I think it's bad notation and I would never use it...

I know that the d refers to an infinitesimally small number, but I just don't understand the difference between the stuff I mentioned before.

Not everybody will agree with me, but don't think of d as infinitesimal number. Just think of d as a notation. Thinking of d as a number causes you to make mistakes, and in (standard) real numbers, there are no such things as infinitesimals...

Thanks guys, I think I'm starting to understand it.

gb7nash said:
The "denominator" indicates what you're differentiating with respect to.

I still don't understand what this means, though. What does "with respect to" really mean?

It's nothing spectacular, "with respect to" simply indicates the variable.

For example, if f(x)=2x, then f'(x)=2, and the notation would be df/dx
But we can also write f(z)=2z (this is the same function), then we would write df/dz.

This notation is useful for functions like f(x)=2a+x, where a is just a number. If we do not know what our variable is (x in this case), then we could both have df/dx or df/da. The dx in the bottom just serves as a reminder to what the variable of f is called...

Ahh, I understand now. Thanks!

But, last question. In explicit differentiation, d/dx is usually used to represent the change of the function with respect to x. However, in implicit differentiation, why is dy/dx used to represent the change of a function with respect to x?

When you do implicit differentiation, y is a function of x so when you take the derivative of y with respect to x you write it as a derivative of the function.

When you differentiate an explicit function of x you know how the function is dependent on x so you can explicitly take the derivative. You don't know how y depends on x, so you must leave it as dy/dx.

I'm not really following, sorry. I think we have a misunderstanding in your second paragraph. I am just referring to an equation like y = 5x^2 or f(x) = 5x^2. Not a multivariable expression.

Ah, I thought you meant implicitly differentiating a function like xy^2 = 2x/y or similar.

I'm not quite sure what you mean then by explicit and implicit differentiation.

As far as the notation does, d/dx is just a differential operator, meaning take the derivative w.r.t. x, where as dy/dx applies the operator to some function y.

That is what I mean.

You said
When you differentiate an explicit function of x you know how the function is dependent on x so you can explicitly take the derivative. You don't know how y depends on x, so you must leave it as dy/dx.
It seems to me that you are talking about something like f(x) = x^2 + 6y.

Could you rephrase what you said before? Sorry for being unclear I am very new to this stuff haha.

Yay, I finally understand. I was just overthinking it.

It's funny how the solution to something so simple can seem so amazing after finally understanding it.

What is a derivative with respect to time?

A derivative with respect to time is a measure of how a variable changes over time. It represents the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point in time. It is denoted by "dx/dt" or "d/dt x".

How is the derivative with respect to x calculated?

The derivative with respect to x is calculated by taking the limit of the change in y over the change in x as the change in x approaches 0. This can also be written as "dy/dx" or "d/dx y".

What is the purpose of taking a derivative with respect to a variable?

Taking a derivative with respect to a variable allows us to analyze the rate of change of a function and understand its behavior. It is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and predict how systems will change over time.

How is the chain rule used when taking a derivative with respect to a composite function?

The chain rule is used when taking a derivative with respect to a composite function by multiplying the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function. This allows us to find the rate of change of a function within a function.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative with respect to multiple variables?

A partial derivative with respect to multiple variables measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative with respect to multiple variables measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all variables.