Burned by Microwave Safe Cup: 500-700°F

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the conversation is about a person who experienced a burn from a hot coffee cup. They mention that the handle of the cup may have been 500-700 degrees Fahrenheit. Someone suggests that they could potentially make a court case out of it for millions of dollars, and the conversation shifts to joking about the situation. The person with the burn seems to be typing fine despite their injury, and someone comments on their resilience.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a comment on cups. Assuming that it was microwave safe, I recently put a new coffee cup in the nuke. After heating my coffee, I grabbed the cup and received a second degree burn - about half the size of a dime - with a small third degree burn [charring] in a portion of the first! Now that's hot. Based on my experience with temp controlled soldering irons [many burns], I'd guess that cup handle was 500 - 700 degrees F.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did Tsunami say?

If you were really smart, you could turn this into a court case that could potentially land you several million dollars.

recon said:
What did Tsunami say?

If you were really smart, you could turn this into a court case that could potentially land you several million dollars.

Knowing Tsu, she was probably laughing at me. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Knowing Tsu, she was probably laughing at me. :biggrin:

WhatEVER makes you think THAT?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Actually I told him to put some neosporin on it after he cleaned it up. Did he do that, you ask? NO! Of COURSE not! So... suffer, baby, suffer! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My finger is fine. Now if I could only move my arm! :cry:

You do seem to be typing just okay because I don't see you making any typos.

For a person who just suffered from a 700 degree burn, that is quite an achievement. :approve:

1. What causes a microwave safe cup to reach temperatures of 500-700°F?

This high temperature is typically caused by a phenomenon known as thermal runaway. This occurs when the temperature inside the cup rises faster than the heat can dissipate, leading to a rapid increase in temperature.

2. Is it safe to use a microwave safe cup at such high temperatures?

No, it is not safe to use a microwave safe cup at temperatures above the recommended maximum of 212°F. The cup may shatter or release harmful chemicals into your food or drink.

3. How can I prevent my microwave safe cup from reaching such high temperatures?

One way to prevent this is to use a lower power setting on your microwave. Additionally, make sure to use the cup for its intended purpose and do not expose it to extreme temperature changes.

4. Can a microwave safe cup cause burns at 500-700°F?

Yes, these temperatures can cause severe burns if the cup is touched or if hot liquid is spilled. It is important to handle the cup with caution and allow it to cool down before touching it.

5. Are there any long-term effects of using a microwave safe cup at high temperatures?

There is currently limited research on the long-term effects of using a microwave safe cup at high temperatures. However, repeated exposure to extreme temperatures may cause damage to the cup and could potentially release harmful chemicals into your food or drink.