Notification - how do I turn that off automatically?

• Thread starter clancy688
  • Start date
In summary, this forum's auto-notification feature is annoying because it sends physicsforums e-mails whenever I post in a new thread, even if I have set the notification to "no email notification".
clancy688
There's a feature which's annoying me since I joined this forum - it's the auto-notification.

Whenever I post first in a thread, it automatically is on "Instant notification". In the heat of battle I often forget to turn it off and when I check my mail account a couple of hours later, it's flooded with physicsforums notifications.

I desperately searched the profile for a setting which turns the notifications automatically off, but didn't find one. Is there such a setting? Or am I doomed to set the notification setting from "instant" to "no email notification" whenever I post first in a new thread? :(Edit: Should have been "how" in the title...

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to my PF at the top left side of the page, click on view all subscribed threads then check all the threads you don't like to get informed about [click on the little square on the right to each thread], then scroll down to the end of the page and choose no email notification and go. There you go you'll never here from us again. :tongue:

drizzle said:
There you go you'll never here from us again. :tongue:

That's what I've been doing so far. But whenever I post a post in a new thread, this new thread shows up in the list with "instant notifications".
It would be nice if it either wouldn't show up there or show up there with "no email notification" as setting without me having to change anything. ^^

Your Automatic Thread Subscription Mode is set to "Instant email notification".

Go to "My Pf", "settings and options", "edit options", then scroll down until you see "Messaging and notification"

scroll down to

"Default Thread Subscription Mode": When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Set the drop down box to "Do not subscribe"

Evo said:
Your Automatic Thread Subscription Mode is set to "Instant email notification".

Go to "My Pf", "settings and options", "edit options", then scroll down until you see "Messaging and notification"

scroll down to

"Default Thread Subscription Mode": When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Args, thanks! How did I miss that setting... I searched the options numerous times. :redface:

Problem solved. :smile:

clancy688 said:
Args, thanks! How did I miss that setting... I searched the options numerous times. :redface:

Problem solved. :smile:
I hide that option from members until they ask about it, then I can post directions and appear helpful. :tongue2:

You may still get some residual e-mails, some members said that after they changed the default, they still needed to go back and individually unsubscribe to any threads that showed up (as per drizzle's directions).

I recently decided to do this (the amount of emails I would get in a day was ridiculous) but I find I still get emails from threads that I was subscribed to before I changed the settings. After a while this dies down though.

Evo said:
There is also the "No email notification" option, which I use. You don't get the emails even though you do get subscribed to a thread when you post. Then if you want to check for replies in threads where you have posted, you can easily see that in your subscribed threads list.

ryan_m_b said:
I recently decided to do this (the amount of emails I would get in a day was ridiculous) but I find I still get emails from threads that I was subscribed to before I changed the settings. After a while this dies down though.
Yes, the changed setting only applies to future posting, not past ones.

Redbelly98 said:
There is also the "No email notification" option, which I use. You don't get the emails even though you do get subscribed to a thread when you post. Then if you want to check for replies in threads where you have posted, you can easily see that in your subscribed threads list.
Good suggestion RB!

1. Why do I keep receiving notifications?

Notifications are a feature designed to keep you informed about important updates, messages, or events. They are a way for your device or application to grab your attention and provide you with information.

2. How can I turn off notifications automatically?

The process for turning off notifications automatically will vary depending on your device or application. However, most devices and applications will have a notification settings menu where you can adjust the notification preferences and turn them off automatically.

3. Can I customize which notifications I receive?

Yes, most devices and applications allow you to customize which notifications you receive. You can usually choose to receive notifications from specific sources or for certain types of events, and turn off notifications for others.

4. Will turning off notifications affect my device's performance?

In most cases, turning off notifications will not significantly affect your device's performance. However, if you receive a large number of notifications, constantly receiving and processing them may use up some of your device's resources.

5. Is it important to receive notifications?

It depends on your personal preferences and the type of notifications you are receiving. Some notifications may be important for your daily life or work, while others may not be as necessary. It's important to assess which notifications are useful for you and adjust your settings accordingly.