Hovering kite height, using forces

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a kite hovering over the ground at the end of a 43-m line, with a tension of 16 N and a wind force of 19 N at an angle of 56 degrees above the horizontal. By setting the horizontal forces to zero and using trigonometry, the height of the kite is determined to be 32.15091308, although another method may result in a different answer due to differing interpretations of the problem.
jehan4141
This problem has 2 stars in my book, which means it is supposed to pretty difficult. I got the answer fairly easily and am worried that maybe I missed something important and thus got the incorrect answer too easily. No answer is provided to self-check my answer to see whether or not I am approaching the problem correctly, so would you mind telling me if my work is correct? I know this site isn't a place to have your work checked, but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly because the problem seemed easier than 2 stars. I usually can't finish a 2 star problem. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A kite is hovering over the ground at the end of a 43-m line. The tension in the line has a magnitude of 16 N. Wind blowing on the kite exerts a force of 19 N, directed 56 degrees above the horizontal. Note that the line attached to the kites is NOT oriented at an angle of 56 degrees above the horizontal. find the height of the kite, relative to the person holding the line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY APPROACH:

Givens:
Length, L = 43 m
Tension, T = 16 N
Force of wind, Fw = 19 N, 56 degrees above the horizontal

From the problem, I understand that the kite is hovering in one spot. Thus, all horizontal and vertical forces equal to zero.

By setting the horizontal forces to zero, I get:
ΣFx = (Fw)cos56 - TcosΘ = 0
Fwcos56 = TcosΘ
19cos56 = 16cosΘ
Θ = 48.39116057

Using the value of Θ we have just found, I can use
sinΘ = height / hypotenuse to find the height of the kite.
sin(48.39116057) = height / 43
height = 32.15091308

Physics news on Phys.org
jehan4141 said:
This problem has 2 stars in my book, which means it is supposed to pretty difficult. I got the answer fairly easily and am worried that maybe I missed something important and thus got the incorrect answer too easily. No answer is provided to self-check my answer to see whether or not I am approaching the problem correctly, so would you mind telling me if my work is correct? I know this site isn't a place to have your work checked, but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly because the problem seemed easier than 2 stars. I usually can't finish a 2 star problem. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A kite is hovering over the ground at the end of a 43-m line. The tension in the line has a magnitude of 16 N. Wind blowing on the kite exerts a force of 19 N, directed 56 degrees above the horizontal. Note that the line attached to the kites is NOT oriented at an angle of 56 degrees above the horizontal. find the height of the kite, relative to the person holding the line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY APPROACH:

Givens:
Length, L = 43 m
Tension, T = 16 N
Force of wind, Fw = 19 N, 56 degrees above the horizontal

From the problem, I understand that the kite is hovering in one spot. Thus, all horizontal and vertical forces equal to zero.

By setting the horizontal forces to zero, I get:
ΣFx = (Fw)cos56 - TcosΘ = 0
Fwcos56 = TcosΘ
19cos56 = 16cosΘ
Θ = 48.39116057

Using the value of Θ we have just found, I can use
sinΘ = height / hypotenuse to find the height of the kite.
sin(48.39116057) = height / 43
height = 32.15091308

I got a different answer, but I used a slightly different method. I'm not seeing right now why we would get different answers, though.

Maybe try it my way to see if I just made a math error. Instead of summing the horizontal forces to zero, I figured out what the angle between the wind and the kite string would need to be, to lower the wind force of 19N down to 16N. That gave me the angle between the wind and the string, which gives the angle of the string to the ground.

Do you get your same answer with that method?

Thank you red belly! :D I will try your way and get back to you in a few minutes berkeman. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Berkeman: I do not see why I should try and make lower the wind force from 19 N to 16 N. What does it mean to have the forces equal?

jehan4141 said:
Berkeman: I do not see why I should try and make lower the wind force from 19 N to 16 N. What does it mean to have the forces equal?

I was thinking that the component of the 19N wind force in the direction of the tension force has to be 16N, since the tension is caused by the wind.

How I picture this problem is that the kite is hovering at one point above the ground. In my mental picture I see a person holding a kite, with the string directed (or flowing) towards the upper right corner of my mental image. I think this where our pictures differ: I see the force of wind coming from the far right side of my mental picture, say from, I don't know...100 yards to the person's right. Thus, in my mental picture, the tension in the string isn't caused by the force of wind. Rather, the force of wind is what causes the kite to remain in one place above the ground.

I think I see your mental picture, and yes, that does open up a whole 'nother can of worms. AHHHHH! I see your interpretation of the problem and see how you could get another answer :/

If you look at forces in any direction other than horizontal, then you need to consider the (unknown) weight of the kite.

Redbelly98 said:
If you look at forces in any direction other than horizontal, then you need to consider the (unknown) weight of the kite.

Ah, thanks for that RB!

1. How does a kite stay in the air?

A kite stays in the air by utilizing different forces such as lift, weight, drag, and thrust. When wind blows against the kite, it creates lift, which is the upward force that keeps the kite from falling. The weight of the kite pulls it down, but the lift force counteracts it. Drag, the force that opposes motion, is also present as the wind pushes against the kite. Finally, the thrust force generated by the wind allows the kite to move and maintain its position in the air.

2. How does the height of a kite affect its stability?

The height of a kite can greatly affect its stability. The higher the kite flies, the more wind it will encounter, which can increase the stability of the kite. However, if the kite is flown too high, it may encounter strong gusts of wind that can destabilize it. Additionally, the length of the kite's string also plays a role in its stability. A longer string can provide more stability by allowing the kite to fly higher and encounter more steady winds.

3. What is the role of the string in keeping a kite in the air?

The string of a kite plays a crucial role in keeping it in the air. The string is attached to the kite at one end and the person flying the kite at the other end. By pulling and releasing the string, the person can control the angle and position of the kite in the air. The string also keeps the kite connected to the ground, allowing the person to maintain control and prevent the kite from flying away.

4. How does wind speed affect the height of a hovering kite?

Wind speed is a significant factor in determining the height of a hovering kite. A stronger wind can provide more lift force, allowing the kite to fly higher. However, if the wind speed is too high, it can also destabilize the kite and make it more difficult to control. It is essential to find a balance in wind speed to maintain the kite's height and stability.

5. How can the force of gravity affect the hovering height of a kite?

The force of gravity plays a crucial role in the hovering height of a kite. Gravity pulls the kite down, but the lift force from the wind counteracts it. The weight of the kite also affects its hovering height. A heavier kite will require more lift force to stay in the air, while a lighter kite will need less lift force. Additionally, the angle of the string can also affect the kite's height, as a steeper angle can provide more lift force to counteract gravity.