What to do? (math grad school)

In summary, if you have a weak background in math due to attending a small state school, there are still options for you to strengthen your skills and improve your chances of getting into a graduate program. Consider taking additional courses, looking into bridge programs, and gaining research experience to show your dedication to the field.
ehllo_thar
I really want to go to grad school for math... preferably a master's simply because I don't want to commit to a 5+ year phd program (still considering various career options). However my background in math is weak because I'm attending a small state school with no reputation for math, and where not much is demanded of me. I've done better than my peers because I am simply enamored with the subject, especially the more pure, abstract mathematics. But the fact that I'm not in a rigorous program and that I've had a second major keeping me from devoting my full attention to the maths has definitely held me back.

So now, I'm about to graduate. FWIW, my GPA is mid-high 3's. Haven't taken the GRE yet. I feel confident I'll do well on the general test, not that it matters, but the subject test - if I even take it - will not be good simply because I lack the background. When I graduate all I'll have taken beyond calculus is an intro abstract algebra, two linear algebras, real analysis, and an optimization course. And in the school I'm at those courses went at a slow pace so I never got the full treatment that I should have. Oh yea, I have no research experience at all.

The school I'm at has a master's program however I feel that if I stay there I won't get the challenge I need to really grow as a student. But then of course, more rigorous programs will simply say that I don't have the background to get in.

What to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really want to go to grad school and get the training I need, but I don't know how to approach it given my circumstances. Any advice would be much appreciated.One option is to take some additional courses at a local college or university to fill in the gaps in your academic background and demonstrate your commitment to mathematics. You could also look into programs that offer bridge courses or conditional admissions, which allow students to complete additional coursework while enrolled in the program. Additionally, you could look into online courses or summer programs to gain more experience with math and demonstrate your commitment to the field. Finally, if possible, try to gain some research experience by working with a professor on a project or finding an internship. These actions will show graduate schools that you are serious about pursuing a career in mathematics and are willing to do what it takes to succeed.

1. What are the requirements for getting into a math graduate program?

The specific requirements for each math graduate program may vary, but most programs will require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Many programs also require applicants to have a strong background in computer science and programming. Additionally, applicants will need to submit letters of recommendation, transcripts, and a statement of purpose.

2. How important are standardized test scores for admission into a math graduate program?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are typically an important factor in the admission process for math graduate programs. However, they are not the only factor considered. Admissions committees will also look at an applicant's academic background, research experience, and letters of recommendation. A strong performance on the standardized tests can help strengthen an application, but it is not the only determining factor.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before applying to math graduate school?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before applying to math graduate school. Many programs allow students to explore different areas of mathematics before choosing a specific research topic. However, having an idea of the general area of mathematics you are interested in can be helpful in finding the right program and advisor.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a math graduate program?

The length of time to complete a math graduate program can vary depending on the specific program, the student's research progress, and other factors. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a Ph.D. program in mathematics. Master's programs can typically be completed in 1-2 years.

5. Are there funding opportunities available for math graduate students?

Yes, there are often funding opportunities available for math graduate students, including teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships. Many programs also offer scholarships and grants. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.