Cubic bezier curve : get sub curve coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinates for a "sub-curve" of a standard cubic bezier curve, using the De Casteljau's algorithm. This method involves constructing points on the curve using straight lines and can be further researched through animations and online resources.
Nabeshin4
cubic bezier curve : get "sub curve" coordinates

Hi,

I have a standard cubic bezier curve defined by 4 points, what I'm trying to get is a "sub-curve" of this one (from the same point of origin, to one particular point on this curve, with the same curve).

For example, getting the first 10% from this curve, also defined as a bezier curve by 4 points, getting point of origin and end point is easy, but I really have no idea of how to calculate the position of the 2 other points (the points giving directional information). Any idea/hint of how to calculate this ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

1. What is a cubic Bezier curve?

A cubic Bezier curve is a mathematical curve commonly used in computer graphics and design. It is defined by four control points that determine the shape and direction of the curve. It is named after French engineer Pierre Bézier, who first used the concept in the 1960s.

2. What are the coordinates of a sub curve of a cubic Bezier curve?

The coordinates of a sub curve of a cubic Bezier curve refer to the start and end points of the curve, as well as the coordinates of the two control points that determine its shape. These coordinates are typically represented as (x, y) pairs.

3. How do you calculate the coordinates of a sub curve of a cubic Bezier curve?

To calculate the coordinates of a sub curve of a cubic Bezier curve, you can use mathematical formulas that take into account the position of the four control points. These formulas can be found in most graphics software or online resources.

4. How do you get the sub curve coordinates of a cubic Bezier curve in programming?

In programming, you can use built-in functions or libraries specific to your programming language or graphics software to calculate the sub curve coordinates of a cubic Bezier curve. These functions typically require the four control point coordinates as input and return the coordinates of the sub curve.

5. What are the practical applications of using cubic Bezier curves and getting their sub curve coordinates?

Cubic Bezier curves are commonly used in computer graphics, animation, and design to create smooth and precise curves. Getting the sub curve coordinates allows for more precise control and manipulation of the curve, which is useful in creating complex shapes and animations.