Can sodium's reactivity be controlled by isolating it in a vacuum?

• Thread starter Anachronistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, according to the author, quarks can rearrange themselves to form protons and neutrons if scientists can isolate one atom of sodium inside a vacuum. This reconfiguration does not happen in chemical reactions, and alpha and beta emissions are not affected.
Anachronistic
Hey guys, I am a graduate of UC Berkeley taking steps to relearn chemistry, physics, and mathematics. I can assist you guys tremendously about quarks if you guys can assist me also!

My high school chemistry teacher kept a piece of sodium metal in some oil to prevent the electrons from reacting with oxygen gas in an exothermic reaction. Now, I am an engineering physics enthusiast and a tutor trying to understand the concept of energy and quarks. I fear that I may confuse my students if I lead them into the wrong conclusion.

Here is my question.

Can quarks rearrange itself to form protons and neutrons if scientists can isolate one atom of sodium inside a vacuum? Afterall, energy release and absorption is a question of electron configuration stability. This stability is obtained by borrowing electrons from neighboring atoms.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemical reactions do not affect the nucleus. Isolating a sodium atom in a vacuum will not cause quarks in the nucleus to change. Quarks make up protons and nuetrons so "rearrange themsleves" statement makes no sense.

Also electrons do not react with the oxygen gas. A sodium reacts when one of its electrons are given away to another atom. Also sodium mearly tarnishes in air. It will react vigourouly with water.

This entire post does not make sense to me.

bm0p700f said:
Chemical reactions do not affect the nucleus. Isolating a sodium atom in a vacuum will not cause quarks in the nucleus to change. Quarks make up protons and nuetrons so "rearrange themsleves" statement makes no sense.

Also electrons do not react with the oxygen gas. A sodium reacts when one of its electrons are given away to another atom. Also sodium mearly tarnishes in air. It will react vigourouly with water.

This entire post does not make sense to me.

Firstly, if quarks are to be considered to be particles merely for our conceptualization, then we can study them using a statistical model. I haven't studied the statistical model. However, when a group of quarks happen to be arranged in a certain order, then it may turn into a proton or a neutron. I believe we all can agree that there is constant energy within the subatomic world. As a result, there has to be a balance that provides nuclear stability. When the balance is disrupted by an addition or a loss of an electron that disrupts the balance between the number of protons and electrons, I think the atom creates some potential energy threshold. If the electrons can reconfigure itself, then it goes through a chemical reaction. If the electrons find some energy obstacles, then perhaps the atom tends to go through a beta particle or an alpha particle nuclear reaction.
What do you think about my hypothesis?

Likes Anwesh P
Chemical reaction do not trigger or hinder alpha and beta emmision. So your hypothesis does not have any physical basis.

I can say that isolating sodium in a vacuum would not necessarily control its reactivity. While it is true that a vacuum would prevent the electron from reacting with oxygen gas, the reactivity of sodium is not solely determined by its electron configuration. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements can also affect its reactivity.

In terms of quarks, it is important to note that they are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons. They cannot rearrange themselves to form protons and neutrons on their own. The formation of protons and neutrons involves interactions between quarks and other subatomic particles, such as gluons.

Furthermore, the stability of an atom is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus, not by borrowing electrons from neighboring atoms. Isolating an atom of sodium in a vacuum would not change its nuclear composition.

In conclusion, while isolating sodium in a vacuum may prevent its reactivity with oxygen gas, it would not necessarily control its reactivity as other factors can still influence it. And in terms of quarks, they cannot rearrange themselves to form protons and neutrons without the involvement of other subatomic particles.

1. What causes sodium to be reactive?

Sodium is reactive because it has only one valence electron in its outermost energy level. This makes it highly unstable and easily forms bonds with other elements to complete its outer energy level.

2. How reactive is sodium compared to other elements?

Sodium is considered to be highly reactive, especially when exposed to water or air. It is more reactive than most other metals, but not as reactive as elements like fluorine and chlorine.

3. Why does sodium react violently with water?

When sodium comes into contact with water, it undergoes a highly exothermic reaction, meaning it releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat. This reaction produces hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide, resulting in the violent bubbling and release of heat.

4. What are the main uses of sodium's reactivity?

Sodium's reactivity is utilized in a variety of industries, including the production of soaps, detergents, and other cleaning products. It is also a key component in the manufacturing of glass, paper, and certain types of batteries.

5. How can the reactivity of sodium be controlled?

The reactivity of sodium can be controlled by storing it in a dry and air-tight container, as it is highly reactive to moisture and oxygen. It can also be controlled by using compounds such as mineral oil to prevent it from coming into contact with air or water.