Does the math teacher make the difference?

In summary, while a good teacher can definitely have a significant impact on a student's success, the quality of the teacher is not as important as we might think.
mathwonk said:
I think this is very much off topic. The gentleman made it about his personal gripe, instead of a general discussion.

That's your opinion, I still stand by my statement that it was not. The issue is; does a \(\displaystyle teacher make a difference? It was a personal story where the teacher did make a difference. [tex]\blacksquare[/tex]\)

Physics news on Phys.org
he never heard a word the teacher said. the difference was only in the grade. it is hard to imagine how much farther off topic that could be, in a discussion which presumably was about how a teacher is crucial to learning. but i do not expect you to agree.

mathwonk said:
he never heard a word the teacher said. the difference was only in the grade. it is hard to imagine how much farther off topic that could be, in a discussion which presumably was about how a teacher is crucial to learning. but i do not expect you to agree.

Yes, it would be hard for me to agree when one can read the post that started it all...

MathHeroine said:
I was at my school's tutoring center and heard these two guys agreeing on how math teachers make a huge difference on how well you're going to do in whatever math class you're taking. Do you agree or disagree?

I bolded the part that said how well you are going to do...which includes grades.