Job dangers associated with chemical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks and hazards associated with a career in chemical engineering. The speaker expresses concern for their fiancé's safety and mentions statistics and real-life examples of workplace accidents. However, the other speaker reassures them that with proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear, these risks can be avoided. The conversation also touches on the speaker's personal experience in the industry and the potential for financial success.
dsrdusername
Hello Pals,

My fiance is going to school for chemical engineering. I have read the statistics pertaining to on-the-job fatalities and general risks associated with this career. I warn him daily that he will face substantial risk to his health resulting in, but not limited to; face splash, burns, allergic reactions, inhalant sensitivities, addiction temptations, and general work environment hostility that may or may not end in homicide (reference; case Annie Le vs. Raymond Clark III via Yale University. September 2009. AP.)

As you can see, even the mildest of risks is drastically life altering, if not life ending.

So really. Should I be worried?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chemical engineering can be dangerous as a career. My career led me to pulp and paper. That was an open-ended risk, since nobody can know what organic by-products are contained in the black liquor or waste-stream. Every job has risks, but the poorly-regulated ones can be more scary. I did it for the money, and ended up making a lot more consulting for other paper companies.

Don't worry about chemical splashes, burn, etc. Those are easily avoided with basic protective measures. It's much harder to avoid exposures to airborne chemicals that are in the workplace. Tell your fiance "good luck" and "be careful".

1. What are the potential health risks associated with chemical engineering jobs?

Chemical engineering jobs involve working with potentially hazardous chemicals and materials, which can pose health risks if proper safety measures are not followed. Exposure to these chemicals can lead to respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health issues.

2. How can chemical engineers protect themselves from job-related dangers?

Chemical engineers can protect themselves by following safety protocols and regulations, wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, and masks, and regularly monitoring their exposure to chemicals.

3. Are there specific chemicals that pose a greater risk to chemical engineers?

Yes, there are certain chemicals that are more hazardous and pose a greater risk to chemical engineers, such as carcinogens, toxic substances, and corrosive materials. It is important for chemical engineers to be aware of the potential dangers of these chemicals and handle them with caution.

4. What are some common safety measures in chemical engineering workplaces?

Common safety measures in chemical engineering workplaces include proper storage and labeling of chemicals, regular safety training for employees, emergency response plans, and proper disposal of hazardous materials.

5. What should I do if I am exposed to a hazardous chemical on the job?

If you are exposed to a hazardous chemical, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. You should also inform your supervisor or safety team so that proper steps can be taken to prevent further exposure and ensure your safety.

Back