Calculations Help: Working Out SF6 Usage in Litres

In summary, Scara is filling a 67.4 litre vessel with SF6 gas at 6Bar and is wondering how to calculate the usage in litres. The density of SF6 at 6 barg and 20 C is approximately 46.5 kg/m3. It is unclear if Scara is being asked to determine the usage in gas or in liquid liters, and further information on the conditions of the liquid source is needed to make this calculation.
Scara
Hi Folks,

Not the best at this so hoping somebidy can help me.

I have a 67.4 litre vessel and I'm filling it with SF6 to 6Bar. Can I work out how much SF6 I'm using in litres?

Is this a dumb question? should nI be asking what weight I'm using.

I've been asked to supply usage in litres.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Scara. I can give you the density of SF6 if you can provide the temperature and verify the pressure is gage and not absolute pressure.

The sf 6 is at room temperature around 20deg Celsius . Pressure measured on vessel with gage.

At 6 barg and 20 C, density is roughly 46.5 kg/m3. The saturation temperature at this pressure is -19 C and at atmospheric pressure the saturation temperature is -68 C.

So at this pressure and temperature, you have a superheated gas. I'm not sure why or how you could put that into liters, but I wonder if there is a liquid source and you're being asked to determine how many liquid liters are needed for this 64.7 L vessel, in which case you need to define the conditions of the liquid source.

Hello,

Calculating the usage of SF6 in litres can be done by converting the pressure and volume measurements into a more common unit of measurement, such as moles or grams. From there, you can use the molar mass of SF6 to convert to litres.

First, let's convert the 6 bar pressure to an absolute pressure in Pascals. 6 bar is equal to 600,000 Pa.

Next, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to calculate the number of moles of SF6 in the vessel. We know the pressure (600,000 Pa), volume (67.4 L), and temperature (assuming room temperature of 25°C or 298 K). Rearranging the equation to solve for n, we get n = PV/RT. Plugging in our values, we get n = (600,000 Pa)(67.4 L) / (8.3145 J/mol*K)(298 K) = 162.66 moles.

Finally, we can use the molar mass of SF6, 146.06 g/mol, to convert moles to grams. Multiplying 162.66 moles by 146.06 g/mol, we get 23,742.5 grams of SF6.

To convert to litres, we need to know the density of SF6. According to the NIST Chemistry WebBook, the density of SF6 at room temperature and atmospheric pressure is 6.17 g/L. Dividing 23,742.5 grams by 6.17 g/L, we get approximately 3,845 litres of SF6.

I hope this helps you calculate the usage of SF6 in litres. Please note that these calculations are based on ideal gas behavior and may not be entirely accurate in real-world conditions. It may also be helpful to double-check these calculations with a trusted source or ask for clarification from your supervisor. Best of luck!

1. How do I calculate the usage of SF6 in litres?

To calculate the usage of SF6 in litres, you will need to know the volume of the container or system in which it is being used and the concentration of SF6 in parts per million (ppm). You can then use the formula: Volume (in litres) = (ppm x volume of container) / 1,000,000.

2. What is SF6 and why is it important to track its usage?

SF6 (sulfur hexafluoride) is a highly potent greenhouse gas and is used in various industries, such as the electrical industry, for its insulating properties. It is important to track its usage to monitor and reduce its impact on the environment.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate SF6 usage in litres?

Yes, as long as you have the correct conversion factors, you can use any unit of measurement to calculate SF6 usage in litres. However, it is recommended to use the International System of Units (SI) for consistency and accuracy.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of SF6 usage calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of SF6 usage calculations include the precision of the measuring equipment, changes in temperature and pressure, and the purity of the SF6 gas being used. It is important to take these factors into account when performing calculations.

5. Are there any online tools or resources available to assist with SF6 usage calculations?

Yes, there are several online calculators and tools available that can assist with SF6 usage calculations. These can be helpful for those who are not familiar with the calculations or for those who want to double-check their results. It is important to use reputable and reliable sources for these tools.