Why are we able to feel the textures of objects.

• Thread starter ntovar73
  • Start date
In summary, physical objects are not actually in space, but they are spatially extended (as fields). This makes the concept “empty space” lose its meaning.
ntovar73
I know that since atoms are made up of mostly empty space, everything around us is made up of empty space. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) I know that the reason why my hand doesn't go though a table when I place my hand on top is because the very small gap between my hand and the table thanks to the electrons around the atoms from the table top and my hand repelling each other. Why are we able to feel textures of objects if there is a gap between us and the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can understand it classically through electrostatics. The negative charge of the electrons in one atom repel the negative charge of the electrons in another. It's equivalent to trying to force two similar magnetic poles together.

In quantum terms, the Pauli exclusion principle forbids two fermions of the same quantum state from existing in the same physical position. You simply aren't allowed to pass one atoms through another, as this would involve electrons sharing a position.

Texture is a macro characteristic and has little or nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Whether the surface is made of atomic-scale physical balls or atomic scale "force fields" makes very little difference when the textures you are feeling are on the order of 10 million times larger.

What creates the textures that we feel?

ntovar73 said:
What creates the textures that we feel?

Surface irregularities and differences in material substance/strength/flexibility, etc.

Are you seriously saying you don't understand this?

I assumed the OP was asking why objects are solid, although atoms are dominantly empty space.

As phinds explains, texture is a totally macroscopic concept. It doesn't have anything to do with quantum mechanics or electrostatics.

ntovar73 said:
I know that since atoms are made up of mostly empty space, everything around us is made up of empty space.

Albert Einstein said:
Physical objects are not in space, but these objects are spatially extended (as fields). In this way the concept “empty space” loses its meaning.

Genius.

1. Why do different objects have different textures?

The texture of an object is determined by the physical properties of its surface, such as roughness, smoothness, hardness, and softness. These properties are a result of the arrangement of molecules and particles on the surface of the object, which can vary depending on the material and how it was made.

2. How do we feel textures?

When we touch an object, our skin comes into contact with its surface. Our skin contains specialized sensory receptors called mechanoreceptors that respond to different types of pressure and vibrations. These receptors send signals to the brain, which interprets and processes the information to create the sensation of touch and texture.

3. Can we feel textures with other body parts?

Yes, we can also feel textures with other body parts, such as our lips, tongue, and even our hair. These body parts also have sensory receptors that respond to different textures, allowing us to feel and identify them.

4. Why do some people have a stronger sense of touch than others?

The sense of touch can vary from person to person, and it is influenced by factors such as genetics, age, and health. Some people may have more sensitive or more numerous mechanoreceptors, while others may have damaged or fewer receptors, affecting their ability to feel textures.

5. Can we feel textures in our dreams?

Yes, we can feel textures in our dreams. Studies have shown that the same areas of the brain that process touch and textures when we are awake are also activated during dreaming. This allows us to experience sensations, including textures, in our dreams.