How to define dynamic equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses defining dynamic equilibrium state, determining the greatest vapor pressure in closed containers, and explaining the miscibility of water and ethanol. It also touches on the concepts of reaction rates, observable properties, energy, entropy, and entropy aspects of a reaction. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the factors that contribute to the complete miscibility of water and ethanol.
ChemRookie
Just a few short questions:

I have to define dynamic equilibrium state in terms of a) reaction rates b) change in observable properties and c) energy and entropy state

I also have to explain in which of the following closed containers has the greatest vapour pressure.
the choices are a) 1L container with 5mL of water held at 20degreescelcius
b) 2L container with 15mL of water held at 30degcel
c) 3L containter with 500mL at 25degcel

finally, ethanol and water are completely miscible; that is, they dissolve in each other in all propertions:
a) when the two substances are mixed, is randomness increased or decreased?
b) heat is liberated in the dissolving process. Does the tendency towards minimum energy favour the separated pure substances, or the solution of one in the other?
c) In view of the tendicies listed in a) and b) above, explain why water and ethanol are completley miscible.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to define dynamic equilibrium state in terms of a) reaction rates b) change in observable properties and c) energy and entropy state

a)The ratio of the rate constants of forward relative to reverse reaction describes K, you'll need to find the details yourself within your text. b)The observable properties...basically relating to when the rate of the forward and reverse reaction are equal (note that I'm referring to rate not rate constant), other than that I'm not quite sure what they're referring to. c) Find a derivative of the free energy Gibbs equation that relates to the rate constnat...free energy of the reaction is zero at equilibrium.

I also have to explain in which of the following closed containers has the greatest vapour pressure.
the choices are a) 1L container with 5mL of water held at 20degreescelcius
b) 2L container with 15mL of water held at 30degcel
c) 3L containter with 500mL at 25degcel

use PV=nRT

finally, ethanol and water are completely miscible; that is, they dissolve in each other in all propertions:
a) when the two substances are mixed, is randomness increased or decreased?
b) heat is liberated in the dissolving process. Does the tendency towards minimum energy favour the separated pure substances, or the solution of one in the other?
c) In view of the tendicies listed in a) and b) above, explain why water and ethanol are completley miscible.
a)I would say it decreases, the solutions becomes ordered as water molecules allign themselves and interact with ethanol molecules.
b)This seems to be a case where the entropy aspects of the reaction make it favorable even when it is somewhat unfavorable in terms of enthalpy.
c)Observe b)

for that second question..how do I get the n variable, to figure out hte pressure in PV=nRT?

Thanks

GeneralChemTutor said:
a)I would say it decreases, the solutions becomes ordered as water molecules allign themselves and interact with ethanol molecules.
b)This seems to be a case where the entropy aspects of the reaction make it favorable even when it is somewhat unfavorable in terms of enthalpy.
c)Observe b)

for a) although the water molecules are aligning themselves with the ehtanol molecules isn't the whole point of a miscable substance based on the fact that the randomness of the system increases allowing the two substances to become completely miscible with one another?

for b) since the general entropy of the system is increasing when the substances are mixed wouldn't that mean that the enthalpy (or tendency toward minimum energy) favours the separated pure substances?

and for c) we can explain that water and ethanol are completely miscible since an equilibrium has formed between the systems drive toward minimum energy and the drive toward maximum randomness?

1. What is the definition of dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is a state in which the rate of forward reaction is equal to the rate of reverse reaction, and the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the system is still undergoing reactions, but the overall concentrations do not change.

2. How is dynamic equilibrium different from static equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, there is no movement or change in the system. The concentrations of reactants and products are also constant, but there is no reaction occurring. In dynamic equilibrium, there is still movement and reaction happening, but the rate of forward and reverse reactions are equal, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

3. Can a system reach dynamic equilibrium if one of the reactants is completely consumed?

No, in order for a system to reach dynamic equilibrium, all reactants must be present and able to undergo reactions. If one of the reactants is completely consumed, the system will no longer be able to reach equilibrium.

4. How is dynamic equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

In a chemical equation, dynamic equilibrium is represented by a double arrow pointing in opposite directions. This indicates that the reaction is reversible and that the system is in a state of equilibrium.

5. What factors can affect the equilibrium position of a system?

The equilibrium position of a system can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. The addition or removal of a reactant or product can also shift the equilibrium position.