Understanding Euclidean Group E(n) Elements

In summary, an element of the Euclidean group E(n) can be written in the form (O,\vec{b}) which acts: \vec{x} \rightharpoondown O\vec{x}+\vec{b} With O \in O(n) and \vec{b} \in R^{n} This would mean that the vector \vec{x} would be rotated by some angle and then translated by a vector. Now I'm having a certain problem. Since it's a group, the multiplication of two of its elements should be an element itself. this I write: (O_{2},
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Well I am not sure if this thread belongs here or in mathematics/groups but since it also has to do with physics, I think SR would be the correct place.
An element of the Euclidean group [itex]E(n)[/itex] can be written in the form [itex](O,\vec{b})[/itex] which acts:
[itex] \vec{x} \rightharpoondown O\vec{x}+\vec{b}[/itex]
With [itex]O \in O(n)[/itex] and [itex] \vec{b} \in R^{n}[/itex]
This would mean that the vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] would be rotated by some angle and then translated by a vector.

Now I'm having a certain problem. Since it's a group, the multiplication of two of its elements should be an element itself.
this I write:
[itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}})(O_{1},\vec{b_{1}})\vec{x}[/itex]
giving:
[itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})[/itex]

From here I followed two paths which I think the first gives a wrong answer, while I'm pretty sure the 2nd gives the correct one... However I don't understand what's their difference.

wrong path
[itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})=(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) O_{1}\vec{x}+(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) \vec{b_{1}}[/itex]
which gives:
[itex]O_{2} O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{2}} +O_{2} \vec{b_{1}} + \vec{b_{2}}[/itex]
see the two times of [itex]\vec{b_{2}}[/itex] appearing

correct path
I write that:
[itex](O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) (O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}})=(O_{2},\vec{b_{2}}) \vec{x_{2}}[/itex]
So I get:
[itex]O_{2}\vec{x_{2}}+\vec{b_{2}}[/itex]
and reentering the definition of [itex]x_{2}=O_{1}\vec{x}+\vec{b_{1}}[/itex] I get:
[itex]O_{2}O_{1}\vec{x}+O_{2}\vec{b_{1}}+\vec{b_{2}}[/itex]

So here we have [itex]\vec{b_{2}}[/itex] only once...
I was able to distinguish the correct from the wrong due to physical imaging (by double rotations and translations), however I don't understand (or more precisely see) what's the difference (and so the wrong in the 1st case) between the two approaches...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In method 1 you're trying to use the distributive law where it does not apply. You're saying Tb(x + y) = (x + b) + (y + b), whereas it should be just Tb(x + y) = x + y + b.

Likes 1 person
In other words, the transformation is not linear. f(x+y) not equal to f(x) + f(y) in general.

I think the problem of non-linearity is in the translations part... that's kinda funny, thanks...

yep. it is pretty interesting. try looking up affine transformation, that should give more info on this topic.

1. What is the Euclidean Group E(n)?

The Euclidean Group E(n) is a mathematical concept that describes the set of all rigid transformations (i.e. translations, rotations, reflections) in n-dimensional Euclidean space. It is denoted as E(n) and can be thought of as the group of all possible ways to move or manipulate objects in n-dimensional space while preserving their shape and size.

2. How do E(n) elements differ from other group elements?

E(n) elements are unique in that they represent transformations in n-dimensional space, while other group elements may represent other types of mathematical operations. Additionally, E(n) elements must preserve the distance and orientation between objects in order to be considered rigid transformations.

3. How many elements are in the Euclidean Group E(n)?

The number of elements in E(n) depends on the dimension of the Euclidean space. For example, in 2-dimensional space (E(2)), there are 3 types of transformations (translations, rotations, reflections), so there are a total of 3 elements. In 3-dimensional space (E(3)), there are 6 elements, as there are 3 possible rotations and 3 possible reflections.

4. What is the purpose of understanding E(n) elements?

Understanding E(n) elements is important in various fields of science, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It allows for accurate and efficient manipulation of objects in n-dimensional space, which is essential in creating realistic simulations and models.

5. How can E(n) elements be represented mathematically?

E(n) elements can be represented using matrices, as each transformation can be described by a specific matrix. For example, translations can be represented using a translation matrix, rotations can be represented using a rotation matrix, and reflections can be represented using a reflection matrix.