On Saturday I was taking balloons to my neice for her birthday party

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
In summary: Well, the heavier sand is not displaced by the lighter air the same way as the lighter balloons are. The heavier sand is not pushed away from the centre of the turn, it is just held in place. This can be seen by dropping a different weight, like a rock, into the water. The rock will sink to the bottom of the container and the water will swirl around it. But the water will not swirl around the lighter balloon. Because the lighter air does not have the same effect on the heavier object.
Cod
On Saturday I was taking balloons to my neice for her birthday party when I noticed something that I'd never noticed before. When I took a turn, the balloons were moving towards the center of the turn. Whenever taking a turn while driving, I realize that most objects move away from the center of the turn. So this brings a question to my mind: Why is it that the balloons went towards the center of the turn instead of away from the center? And are balloons the only objects that will do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
He balloons are lighter than air. What you actually see is the effect of the air inside the vehicle sloshing over to the outside of the turn, displacing the balloons toward the inside. A similar effect can be seen with a bubble level. Take one and on a smooth surface accelerate it forward. You will see the bubble go forward as if it has negative mass. Which in a sense it does.

Alternatively, you may want to consider applying the principle of equivalence. When we make a turn, the centrifugal acceleration we experience is directed away from the centre of the turn. Now, using the principle, we can also think it as if we are not moving/turning at all, but there's a gravitational acceleration in the direction away from the centre of the turn.

Now, why does a helium balloon float? It is due to the lower density of helium compared to air, pushing it from the ground. So in that case above, the balloon will 'float' towards the centre of the turn. This is also another way how you can see the problem.

Good explanations, I think.

But now this. I have a bucket with water and I swirl the water around, So it's also making that same turn. Now, I drop in some sand grains, heavier than water So in analogy to the balloons, you'd expect the sand to swirl towards the outside of the turn, but instead the sand at the bottom also moves to the centre of the turn.

Now, any theory about that? :smile:

water is diffrent, it would be like a whirlpool type of thing, I know there's a diffrent name for it, well anything that's heavy will go to the center and sink, like if the grain of sand was a ship.

Originally posted by Andre
Good explanations, I think.

But now this. I have a bucket with water and I swirl the water around, So it's also making that same turn. Now, I drop in some sand grains, heavier than water So in analogy to the balloons, you'd expect the sand to swirl towards the outside of the turn, but instead the sand at the bottom also moves to the centre of the turn.

Now, any theory about that? :smile:

This is the same principle, the lighter air would go torwards the ouside and the heavier sand torwards the inside.

Not really, the lighter balloons are forced to the centre of the turn because buoyancy also works for centrifugal forces. Now the heavier sand that also moves to the centre of the turn cannot be explained by buoyancy. With that effect you would expect the sand moving to the outside of the turn. But it isn't. Why?

1. What type of balloons were you taking to your niece's birthday party?

I was taking a mix of colorful helium balloons including some shaped like animals and some with birthday messages printed on them.

2. How many balloons did you bring to the party?

I brought a total of 20 balloons, as I wanted to make sure there were enough for all the kids at the party to enjoy.

3. Did you have any difficulties transporting the balloons?

Yes, it was a bit challenging to carry all the balloons at once without them flying away. I had to hold onto the strings tightly and make sure they didn't get tangled.

4. Were the balloons a hit at the party?

Yes, the balloons were a huge hit with all the kids at the party. They were excited to see all the different shapes and colors and had a lot of fun playing with them.

5. How did your niece react to the balloons?

My niece was overjoyed when she saw the balloons. She immediately picked out her favorite ones and couldn't stop smiling and laughing. It was definitely a highlight of her birthday party.