Can Piezoelectric Crystals Generate Electricity Under Stress?

In summary, when subject to an electric pulse, piezoelectric crystals will vibrate and will produce an electric pulse. Endevco supplies skiis that have a piezzo cell and LED to help keep the skiis on the slope. Electronic cigarette lighters use piezo microphones to detect sound and generate an electric pulse.
extreme_machinations
Piezoelectric Crystal Vibrates When Subjected To An Electric Pulse ,
Now
I Wonder If Putting Stress On A Piezoelctric Crystal Would Yeild An Electric Pulse ??
And If That Is So, Are There Any Machines Based On This Theory ?and If There Are ,how Efficient Are They ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. There definitely are. Look up accelerometers and many different forms of instrumentation. They all use the deformation of a piexoelectric crystal to produce a charge which is sent thru a charge amplifier and then signal conditioner. The end signal is a direct function of the imput.

One of my standard suppliers is Endevco. They have a lot of information on the effect.

Last edited:
My skiis have a piezzo cell and an LED. Its probably mostly hype, but its supposed to convert vibration to electricity (and light the LED) to help keep the skiis on the slope. If you bang on the skiis with your knuckles, the LED lights up.

FredGarvin said:
Yes. There definitely are. Look up accelerometers and many different forms of instrumentation.
He probably already either owns or has seen one—the cartridge in a turntable.

Those lighters on propane grilles are piezoelectric lighters. When you push the button, you cause a a rod to slam into a set of piezoelectric crystals causing a voltage large enough to make a spark that ignites the gas.

Chi Meson said:
Those lighters on propane grilles are piezoelectric lighters.
Right. Also electronic cigarette lighters. Most phones, I think, now use piezo microphones as well. There are probably dozens of everyday examples that we just never even think about.

russ_watters said:
My skiis have a piezzo cell and an LED. Its probably mostly hype, but its supposed to convert vibration to electricity (and light the LED) to help keep the skiis on the slope. If you bang on the skiis with your knuckles, the LED lights up.

Ahhh... Now I know why they put those in kids shoes, and here I always thought is was simply for amusement, in actuality it is so they will know when their feet hit the ground. :biggrin:

Last edited:
thank god it work !
well that clears up a few things for my furure project,
thankks guys !

1. What is reverse piezoelectricity?

Reverse piezoelectricity is the phenomenon where a material undergoes a mechanical deformation when an electric field is applied to it. This is the reverse of the more commonly known piezoelectric effect, where a material generates an electric field when subjected to mechanical stress.

2. How is reverse piezoelectricity different from piezoelectricity?

The main difference between reverse piezoelectricity and piezoelectricity is the direction of the effect. In piezoelectricity, the material produces an electric field in response to mechanical stress, while in reverse piezoelectricity, the material undergoes a mechanical deformation when an electric field is applied to it.

3. What are some examples of materials that exhibit reverse piezoelectricity?

Some common materials that exhibit reverse piezoelectricity include certain types of ceramics, polymers, and crystals. For example, lead zirconate titanate (PZT) is a popular ceramic material used in many applications that demonstrate reverse piezoelectricity.

4. What are the practical applications of reverse piezoelectricity?

Reverse piezoelectricity has many practical applications in industries such as electronics, sensors, and energy harvesting. It is commonly used in piezoelectric transducers, which are devices that convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and vice versa. Reverse piezoelectricity is also used in the development of actuators, which are components that can control and move mechanical systems.

5. How is reverse piezoelectricity studied and measured in scientific research?

Reverse piezoelectricity is usually studied and measured using various experimental techniques, such as electromechanical characterization, piezoresponse force microscopy, and impedance spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to measure the mechanical and electrical properties of a material and analyze its response to applied electric fields, providing valuable insights into the phenomenon of reverse piezoelectricity.