Doctor Gave Me Unexpected Advice: Do Not Consume Too Many Vitamins

In summary, the doctor was warning the patient about the dangers of taking too many vitamins. There is no connection between excessive vitamin intake and contracting STD's.
EternalTriangle
I came to see my doctor for some physical problems, I got an std, and he advise me not to consume so many vitamins because they are harmul if used extra. I right then asked him why but he seemed not like to answer directly my question. I come here to ask gurus. Do you know why ? Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Fat-soluble vitamins will accumulate in your body if you take more than the advised daily dose. Fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E or K and their primary place of storage is the liver. You should especially watch out with vitamin A. The liver of the polar bear contains a lot of vitamin A, the liver is very toxic for that. More information here http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

The reason that water-soluble vitamins are not so harmful, is for the fact that your body gets rid of them through the urine so that they cannot accumulate.

But what does excessive vitamin intake have to do with the presence or non-presence of a STD?

Since STD's attack through the urinary tract, perhaps the doctor was referring to water-soluble vitamins in this case? Overdoses of almost anything that is passed through the urethra can become an irratant, and this could reduce resistance to infection, couldn't it?

STD's don't attack solely through the urinary tract, think herpes simplex infection of the mouth. I don't think there is a connection between the extra vitamins and contracting STD, I think it was a general warning by the doctor that taking extra fat soluble vitamins can be dangerous.

kalladin said:
But what does excessive vitamin intake have to do with the presence or non-presence of a STD?

They aren't related. It's probably just a situation where someone goes to the doctor for one problem, and while there, the doctor asks questions and finds out about some other potential problems, and offers advice on those as well.

What are the potential risks of consuming too many vitamins?

Consuming too many vitamins can lead to an overdose, which can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can also lead to organ damage and even death.

Why would a doctor advise against consuming too many vitamins?

A doctor may advise against consuming too many vitamins because they can interact with certain medications, lead to imbalances in the body, and potentially harm the liver and kidneys.

How can I know if I am consuming too many vitamins?

It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine your specific vitamin needs. They can also help you monitor your vitamin levels through blood tests and recommend appropriate supplementation.

Are there any vitamins that are safe to consume in large amounts?

Generally, water-soluble vitamins (such as vitamin C and B vitamins) are safe to consume in larger amounts because the body can easily excrete any excess. However, it is still important to consult with a doctor before significantly increasing your intake of any vitamin.

What is the best way to get the right amount of vitamins?

The best way to get the right amount of vitamins is through a balanced and varied diet. Eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can provide you with the necessary nutrients without the risk of consuming too much of any one vitamin.