Two charges touching each other

• Thread starter Rectifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of two identical iron balls with a charge of Q each touching each other. The thought is that they can be seen as one larger ball with a charge of 2Q, but there is uncertainty about the volume of the ball. The conversation also mentions the concept of symmetry and the expectation that the volume of the combined ball would be 2 times the volume of one ball.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
This isn't a question from a book. Its something that I am not 100% sure about.

The question
What happens if two iron balls with charge Q each, touch each other?

My thought
These balls can be seen as a separate ball with a charge of 2Q. ( I am not so sure what to say about the volume of that iron ball though)

Physics news on Phys.org
Two iron balls of the same size? What does symmetry say?

mfb said:
Two iron balls of the same size? What does symmetry say?

Lets say that they are identical spheres.

I wrote my thoughts above. :) Or do you mean the volume? The volume will be 2*the volume of one metall ball. The charge/cm^3 must be the same I guess.

1. What happens when two charges touch each other?

When two charges touch each other, they can either attract or repel each other, depending on the type of charges they are. For example, two positive charges will repel each other, while a positive and a negative charge will attract each other.

2. What is the effect of touching two opposite charges?

When two opposite charges touch each other, they will experience a force of attraction between them. This force is known as the electrostatic force, and it is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together in materials.

3. Can two like charges touch each other?

Yes, two like charges can touch each other, but they will experience a force of repulsion. This is because like charges repel each other due to the electrostatic force.

4. What happens to the charges when they touch each other?

When two charges touch each other, they can transfer some of their charge to each other. This is known as charge transfer or conduction. The amount of charge transferred depends on the type and magnitude of the charges involved.

5. Is it possible for two charges to cancel each other out when they touch?

Yes, it is possible for two charges to cancel each other out when they touch. This happens when two equal and opposite charges come into contact with each other, resulting in a neutralization reaction. The net charge becomes zero, and the charges are said to be neutralized.