Finding acceleration on a position-time graph

In summary: The velocity at A is less than the velocity at E so the object has to decrease its velocity between A and E.
salmayoussef
The graph below shows a plot of the position of a particle as a function of time. I need help determining whether the statements concerning the motion of the particle are true or false.

The graph: http://imgur.com/yNeHoF3

? - The instantaneous acceleration at B is zero.
True - The instantaneous velocity at F is zero.
? - The average acceleration over segment AE is less than zero.
False - The average velocity over segment FG is zero.

That's what I have so far! I'm not even sure if the last one is right. I've looked it up, and I can't find how to find acceleration on a position-time graph, only velocity. Any help would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find velocity on a position time graph?

Acceleration is change of velocity with time.

If you know how to find the velocity, can you determine whether it is changing with time?

salmayoussef said:
The graph below shows a plot of the position of a particle as a function of time. I need help determining whether the statements concerning the motion of the particle are true or false.

The graph: http://imgur.com/yNeHoF3

? - The instantaneous acceleration at B is zero.
True - The instantaneous velocity at F is zero.
? - The average acceleration over segment AE is less than zero.
False - The average velocity over segment FG is zero.

That's what I have so far! I'm not even sure if the last one is right. I've looked it up, and I can't find how to find acceleration on a position-time graph, only velocity. Any help would be great!
For x>0
Think of a position time graph as a curved line (exponential)(y=x2)
Now think the velocity time graph which would be a slanted line (y=x)
Now think of the acceleration time graph, which would be a straight horizontal line. <-- (The slope of a velocity time graph gives you the acceleration)

From this we know what the first answer.

For the second statement, when the velocity is 0, the slope of a position time graph is 0, because the slope of a position time graph gives velocity. So what should the position time graph look like?

For the third statement, when the acceleration is less than 0. What does that mean in terms of the velocity? and from this what does that mean in terms of the position? (Hint: Think direction)

happysmiles36 said:
From this we know what the first answer.

For the second statement, when the velocity is 0, the slope of a position time graph is 0, because the slope of a position time graph gives velocity. So what should the position time graph look like?

For the third statement, when the acceleration is less than 0. What does that mean in terms of the velocity? and from this what does that mean in terms of the position? (Hint: Think direction)

I put the first answer as true.
For the second one, the graph shows that the displacement at F is 0 and to find the velocity of that would mean 0/time which would be 0.
For the third one, if the acc. is less than 0, wouldn't that mean it's slowing down? Or just accelerating in the opposite direction?

salmayoussef said:
I put the first answer as true.
For the second one, the graph shows that the displacement at F is 0 and to find the velocity of that would mean 0/time which would be 0.
Velocity isn't position over time, it's change in position over time. The position is definitely moving in the negative direction at instant F.

For the third one, if the acc. is less than 0, wouldn't that mean it's slowing down? Or just accelerating in the opposite direction?
The thing starts at A with some initial velocity (hence the graph is initially rising at some slope). Between A and E, does the object go as far as it would have if it had kept that initial velocity?

olivermsun said:
Between A and E, does the object go as far as it would have if it had kept that initial velocity?

No, definitely not. And what would that mean for the acceleration?

Yowsers, disregard what I said about A to E.

Think about it this way: what's the velocity at A? What's the velocity at E?
What net acceleration had to happen between A and E?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How can acceleration be determined from a position-time graph?

Acceleration can be determined by finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the position-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

What does a positive acceleration on a position-time graph indicate?

A positive acceleration on a position-time graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction and increasing in speed. This can be seen as an upward slope on the graph.

What does a negative acceleration on a position-time graph indicate?

A negative acceleration on a position-time graph indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction and decreasing in speed. This can be seen as a downward slope on the graph.

What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity on a position-time graph?

The slope of the position-time graph represents the object's velocity, while the slope of the velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration. Therefore, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time.