Canoe Velocity Relative to River: 0.413m/s

In summary: To find the magnitude of the canoe's velocity relative to the river, we use the equations Vx=V0cos(θ) and Vy=V0sin(θ) to break down the canoe's velocity into its x and y components. Then we use vector addition to find the magnitude of the resultant vector, which is the canoe's velocity relative to the river.
zippeh

Homework Statement

A canoe has a velocity of 0.360m/s southeast (at 315°) relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing at 0.580m/s east relative to the earth.

Find the magnitude of the velocity v⃗ c/r of the canoe relative to the river.

Homework Equations

Vx=V0cos(θ)
Vy=V0sin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is Vc/r=0.413 m/s and the (Vc/r)x , (Vc/r)y =
-0.325,-0.255 ; respectively.

There are a few things I am confused about with the equations on the problem in general. Firstly, why do these equations work : Vx=V0cos(θ) and Vy=V0sin(θ).

I don't understand why I have to use these equations in the problem to obtain the Vx when the problem (to my understanding) gives me Vx and the Vy, which should be the value of Vc/r since this should be just simple vector addition. This is what I am thinking (see attachments). The magnitude of the velocity of Vc/r = Vc/e - Vr/e. So, Vc/e is given at a 315° angle at a velocity of .350m/s. Then using the head to tail method, -Vr/e is given at 180° at a velocity of .580m/s. Using the cos(315°)*.360, I should get -.255 for the magnitude of the velocity of Vc/r instead of .413. I know this is obviously wrong since you can't have a negative velocity in this problem, the way they have the positive and negative planes set up, but I just want to know why the other way works and why it isn't simple vector addition/subtraction. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• p.png
    p.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 404
  • physics.png
    physics.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity of the canoe relative to the Earth is the resultant vector of the canoe's velocity relative to the river and of the velocity of the river relative to the earth.

That doesn't really help me, could you explain more in depth please?

vc/e = vr/e + vc/r

Solve the equation for vc/r by breaking the other two (given) velocities into their x (east) and y (north) components, then take the magnitude of the result. The given answer checks.

NOTE: the given velocity of the canoe w/r/t Earth is not the velocity the canoe would have w/r/t Earth in the absence of river flow. It's the actual canoe-to-earth velocity including the effect of the river flow.

The canoe's velocity consists of two components. Its velocity relative to the river, that is the person rowing it sees that he is rowing the canoe at a certain speed in a certain direction with respect to the water, but it is also carried by the river at a certain speed in a certain direction. So the canoe's velocity is the resultant of these two velocities.

1. What does the canoe velocity of 0.413m/s mean in relation to the river?

The canoe velocity of 0.413m/s means that the canoe is moving at a speed of 0.413 meters per second relative to the river. This means that the canoe is traveling downstream at a moderate pace.

2. How is the canoe velocity measured in relation to the river?

The canoe velocity in relation to the river can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a GPS device, a speedometer, or by timing how long it takes the canoe to cover a certain distance. It is important to take into account the direction and speed of the river's current when measuring the canoe's velocity.

3. Does the canoe velocity change depending on the river's current?

Yes, the canoe velocity can change depending on the river's current. If the current is strong, it can increase the canoe's velocity, while a weaker current may slow it down. It is important for canoeists to be aware of the current's strength and direction in order to navigate safely and efficiently.

4. How does the canoe velocity affect the overall trip time?

The canoe velocity can greatly affect the overall trip time. A higher velocity will result in a faster trip, while a lower velocity will result in a longer trip. It is important to consider the canoe's velocity when planning a trip and estimating the time it will take to reach a certain destination.

5. Can factors other than the river's current affect the canoe velocity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the canoe velocity, such as wind speed and direction, paddling technique, and the weight and design of the canoe. It is important for canoeists to be aware of these factors and adjust accordingly in order to maintain a steady and efficient velocity.